Forums > Gear

Understanding Deinterlacing

August 10, 2012 | 2:32 am

I have the following setup:

- Pal-SD-Video cameras
- Multichannel SD-Capture Card (osprey 450e)
- Display-Port out
- Matrox Triplehead 2go Display Port Edition
- Display Port to Composite Video S-Video Converter (LKV386) connected to matrox outputs
- CRT-Pal-SD Monitors

I do the incoming video both record with Max and later playback with Max onto one of the monitors, and also i do distribute them directly on the monitors with max.

Image quality is fine and almost no latency, but if i move a camera very fast (the whole image is moving) i can see 1 -3 horizontal lines on the image in the monitor.
My capture card has a deinterlace-modus that i switched on, but still i can see sometimes these 1-3 lines with very fast movement.
Is there something i can do within max (i tried jit.demultiplex without success), or has anybody on this list an idea which part in the gear chain could be maybe optimized.

dtr
August 10, 2012 | 7:03 am

isn’t it the last step reintroducing interlacing?

- Display Port to Composite Video S-Video Converter (LKV386) connected to matrox outputs
- CRT-Pal-SD Monitors

hard to tell without seeing the actual lines but it could also be that the movement is too fast in relation to the camera’s frame rate and causes visual artifacts.

btw, interlacing shows in jagged edges, something like this: http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/PapaJohn/54/Interlaced-Versus-Progressive_files/image010.jpg
not sure if the 3 lines you’re talking about are something like this.

August 12, 2012 | 7:32 am

thanks dieter,

i did not think about the cams framerate, that is a good point! i have the small lines both on playback on my crt monitors and on my digital connected computer display. it is not so bad, but would be more happy if i could get rid of it. i will try some more stuff the next ywo days, but might upload 5 secs of footage later and would be happy if you have a short view on it if i do not get along with that.

best

tobias

dtr
August 12, 2012 | 8:42 am

sure, please do

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)