unhappy projector images

Dec 20, 2009 at 6:38am

unhappy projector images

Hi all,
First, I must say I’m really not excited about how searching works in the forums now. I get a ridiculous number of hits from 2006 (was it that useful of a year?), and those that are more recent never get actually link to the actual posting…it often puts me right back to the first page of the forum. And via google most of the hits lead to pages which don’t exist anymore. I mention this, just in case this was answered within the past couple weeks :)

Here’s my situation: I have a still image texture mapped to a plane via jit.gl.gridshape. It’s mapped to plane so I can easily scale, rotate, translate, etc. The control of the image is thru some video tracking of some IR leds. All was looking quite lovely on my second monitor, but when I replaced the second monitor with a small DLP projector, translating the image up/down left/right is VERY choppy. Am I missing an important setting in jit.gl.render or jit.window? Is it just a limitation of somewhat cheap projectors? Any advice/guesses would be received with considerable enthusiasm :)

Thanks,
David

Dec 20, 2009 at 6:59am

if it’s helpful info, rotating in 3D works great (no choppiness). It’s only translational movement that is giving me headaches.

Thanks again,
David

Dec 21, 2009 at 10:25pm

so to keep the conversation with myself going :) …

after a ridiculous amount of work to get a nice beefy ATI 4890 working in my mac pro, the side-to-side jerkiness has been greatly reduced! Helps justify the hours it took to get it work. But it’s still not as smooth as I would like it. Again, going from jit.qt.movie >> jit.gl.texture >> jit.gl.gridshape >> jit.gl.render >> jit.window. Jerkiness comes from sending jit.gl.gridshape new position values (side to side/up & down movements). Image is coming out second DVI display to a fairly inexpensive NEC projector. Any advice on values to set, or changes to the pathway I mentioned above? Let me know if a patch would help and I’ll whittle the one I am using to something a bit more manageable.

Thanks,
David

Dec 23, 2009 at 7:02pm

it’s very hard to say, and this is something that has greatly frustrated me in the past.
perhaps adding some post-processing motion blur will at least mask some of the jerkiness?

Dec 23, 2009 at 10:52pm

Hey Rob,
Well…at least I’m not alone :) The better graphics card helped a lot, and on Monday I’ll be plugging into a lovely HD DLP projector. I’ll be sure to report back. Would just to find where the bottleneck lies so I can blame someone else ;) Thanks for the suggestion on the motion blur…that’s a good idea.

Thanks,
David

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.