Forums > Jitter

unibrain RAW on OS X

September 5, 2008 | 11:22 pm

hi

I have a Unibrain Fire-i Raw color camera and I don’t manage to grab it correctly in Jitter on a Macbook pro OS X 10.5.4 (intel core 2 duo 2.5GHz)

I can grab the Unibrain cam with the generic IIDC driver from Apple but images are still strange (B&W with something like aliasing) and I think that jit.qt.grab doesn’t decode the RAW data from the cam, on Windows I can set it up and it works properly with Unibrain Driver and jit.dx.grab but Unibrain doesn’t make a driver for Mac OS and it doesn’t work with the generic one.

if anybody has an idea on how to get images from a RAW IIDC Device… thanks a lot

best regards
antoine

September 11, 2008 | 7:56 pm

Have you tried the Astro IIDC drivers? Not free but they offer a trial. Also not RAW but hopefully they’ll fix your video input issues.

http://www.outcastsoft.com/ASCASTROIIDC.html

September 11, 2008 | 8:08 pm

yes i tried it and.. it doesn’t work whereas it is said to be compatible with Fire-i camera

but as I found nothing working on the internet, I’ve programmed a shader which does the RAW to RGB conversion, it works, i can get color but, as i haven’t the CCD profile it is very difficult to get true colors.

so, finally, we found a color firmware, but, color rendering seems to be better it is done by the driver with a RAW firmware than when it is done inside the cam with the Color firmware

and as we apply very strong transformations to the video, it doesn’t matter anymore

thanks for your suggest cap10subtext, your are the only one…

A.

September 11, 2008 | 9:13 pm

I`m interested in firmware,if you can post the link where did you get it from or the file it would be grate.

thank you

September 12, 2008 | 5:11 pm

sorry but I got it directly from Unibrain and the tool only work my camera (they’re not crazy…)

best ragards

A.

April 24, 2009 | 8:09 pm

hey antoine, we’re having similar issues. we’re using a unibrain "industrial" camera, and an IOXperts driver.

we’re getting the camera to work within jitter, but can’t set driver settings automatically; have to manually set sliders every time the patch opens. this is not an acceptable solution for a museum installation Sad

have you found any way to get around this issue? here’s the full post:

http://www.cycling74.com/forums/index.php?t=tree&goto=171433&rid=8674&S=521f5996c3c82ebfb72e865e7bd555a5#msg_171433

thanks!
-e

April 26, 2009 | 11:27 am

hi ericsoco,

yes i found a solution : a GLSL shader which colorizes the image following the BGGR matrix and an algorithm found on the internet
but this shader didn’t take in account the CCD profile, so we need to do a white balance with another shader (scalebias for example)

so I am not sure this was the same problem as yours
is your camera IIDC compliant ?
if it does it is strange that you need a third party driver while IIDC is full supported by jit.qt.grab I think.

good luck

best

antoine

April 27, 2009 | 5:21 pm

thanks for the response, antoine; i think i must have misunderstood your issue, because your solution definitely doesn’t match my problem Wink

the camera is IIDC 1.31-compliant
http://unibrain.com/Products/VisionImg/boardXGA.htm

and the driver is built for IIDC cameras
http://www.ioxperts.com/products/industrial.html

so not sure why jit.qt.grab can’t get through to the settings i need. pretty positive it’s on the software (digitizer) side, not the hardware (camera) side. but i can only get this camera to connect to OSX via this IOXperts driver… Sad

April 27, 2009 | 7:54 pm

Strange,I have the same camera and works O.K with integrated apple iidc drivers.If it is the case, that you get only gray image with apple drivers , set the sharpness in iidc_support sub patch to 0.6 value.

April 27, 2009 | 8:55 pm

as jaz said, I think you don’t need IOexpert

I was searching an alternative driver last september because my cam had a RAW firmware version and the integrated IIDC driver from Apple can’t recompose the color

best & good luck

antoine

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)