Forums > Dev

Unresolved external symbols when building on Windows

March 15, 2013 | 5:54 pm

Hi Devs,

I am in the process of upgrading my Max 5 – based repository to the Max 6 SDK. On Mac, now everything seems to work fine, so I just go to the evil moment when I needed to turn towards Visual Studio. Of course, things just don’t work… It even took me a couple of hours to get until a point where I can give a minimal code example to illustrate what doesn’t work. So, I have a file that compiles fine with the Max 5 SDK and Visual Studio. Now, I just added that single file to the ‘dummy’ example of Max 6. It seems that everything gets compiled fine, but then I start getting linker errors:

sadam.common.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) __int64 const std::_BADOFF" (__imp_?_BADOFF@std@@3_JB)
sadam.common.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) void __cdecl std::_Xout_of_range(char const *)" (__imp_?_Xout_of_range@std@@YAXPBD@Z)
sadam.common.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) void __cdecl std::_Xlength_error(char const *)" (__imp_?_Xlength_error@std@@YAXPBD@Z)
sadam.common.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__send@16
sadam.common.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__gethostbyname@4
sadam.common.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__closesocket@4
sadam.common.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__socket@12
sadam.common.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__bind@12
sadam.common.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__recv@16
sadam.common.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__WSACleanup@0
sadam.common.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__sendto@24
sadam.common.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__ntohs@4
sadam.common.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__htons@4
sadam.common.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__select@20
sadam.common.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__htonl@4
sadam.common.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__WSAStartup@8
sadam.common.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__inet_ntoa@4
sadam.common.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__connect@12
sadam.common.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) protected: virtual class std::basic_streambuf > * __thiscall std::basic_streambuf >::setbuf(char *,__int64)" (__imp_?setbuf@?$basic_streambuf@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@@std@@MAEPAV12@PAD_J@Z)
sadam.common.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) protected: virtual __int64 __thiscall std::basic_streambuf >::xsputn(char const *,__int64)" (__imp_?xsputn@?$basic_streambuf@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@@std@@MAE_JPBD_J@Z)
sadam.common.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) protected: virtual __int64 __thiscall std::basic_streambuf >::xsgetn(char *,__int64)" (__imp_?xsgetn@?$basic_streambuf@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@@std@@MAE_JPAD_J@Z)
sadam.common.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) protected: virtual __int64 __thiscall std::basic_streambuf >::showmanyc(void)" (__imp_?showmanyc@?$basic_streambuf@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@@std@@MAE_JXZ)
sadam.common.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: virtual void __thiscall std::basic_streambuf >::_Unlock(void)" (__imp_?_Unlock@?$basic_streambuf@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@@std@@UAEXXZ)
sadam.common.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: virtual void __thiscall std::basic_streambuf >::_Lock(void)" (__imp_?_Lock@?$basic_streambuf@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@@std@@UAEXXZ)
sadam.common.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: void __thiscall std::_Container_base0::_Orphan_all(void)" (__imp_?_Orphan_all@_Container_base0@std@@QAEXXZ)

I have the default settings of the ‘dummy’ example project. However, I also tried that replacing maxcrt.lib with maxcrt_p.lib doesn’t solve the problem. The weird thing is that in Max 5 I never got these errors…

Any help would be really appreciated!
Cheers,
Ádám

EDIT: I should add that I am on Visual Studio 2010, not on 2008. While one might suggest to use Visual Studio 2008, that’s a way too old version, I am not even sure whether one can obtain it at all… So, I’d appreciate a suggestion that works on VS 2010…

March 19, 2013 | 1:02 am

Hi Ádám,

First, I’d like to mention that the new Max 6.1.1 SDK provides example projects in VS2010/VS2012 format.

To state the obvious, it looks like your errors are some kind of linking problem with C++ code. I’m not sure, but it looks like some of these mangled C++ names might be using the stdcall calling convention, whereas Max externs use the cdecl calling convention (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_calling_conventions for details). So maybe that explains why the symbols it is looking for cannot be found.

You could also try to make sure that the C++ standard library is correctly set in the target settings, though I think it should usually give you something half-workable by default.

Hope this helps!

March 19, 2013 | 8:02 am

Hi Tim,

thanks for the reply, and +1 for the new SDK! :-)

In the meantime, I fixed the error. It turns out that, after spending 8 hours of desperate try-and-error experiments with VS settings, it came to my mind to open the project XML file with a text editor and change the order of the settings randomly. This solved the problem (actually, when I changed the order of the files included in the project).

A few days ago a software designer friend of mine told me that it is well known that linkers can be quite sensitive of the actual order of linking the files. I can just second that opinion…

Cheers,
Ádám

March 20, 2014 | 11:11 pm

Hi Adam,

Even i am facing the same problem from two days.
can you please mention the steps u followed to solve this? it would be great help.
I am new to Windows world and tried all possible things and i know its linking or name mangling issue, but couldnt really make out..

thanks,
Nagaraj

March 20, 2014 | 11:14 pm

1>—— Rebuild All started: Project: xmlsam, Configuration: Debug Win32 ——
1>Build started 3/21/2014 11:26:03 AM.
1>_PrepareForClean:
1> Deleting file "Debug\xmlsam.lastbuildstate".
1>InitializeBuildStatus:
1> Creating "Debug\xmlsam.unsuccessfulbuild" because "AlwaysCreate" was specified.
1>ClCompile:
1> XMLWrapper.cxx
1>f:\xmlsam\xmlwrapper.cxx(73): warning C4996: ‘sprintf’: This function or variable may be unsafe. Consider using sprintf_s instead. To disable deprecation, use _CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS. See online help for details.
1> c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 10.0\vc\include\stdio.h(371) : see declaration of ‘sprintf’
1>f:\xmlsam\xmlwrapper.cxx(107): warning C4996: ‘sprintf’: This function or variable may be unsafe. Consider using sprintf_s instead. To disable deprecation, use _CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS. See online help for details.
1> c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 10.0\vc\include\stdio.h(371) : see declaration of ‘sprintf’
1>f:\xmlsam\xmlwrapper.cxx(115): warning C4996: ‘sprintf’: This function or variable may be unsafe. Consider using sprintf_s instead. To disable deprecation, use _CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS. See online help for details.
1> os.cxx
1>f:\xmlsam\os.cxx(69): warning C4101: ‘iRetVal’ : unreferenced local variable
1> main.cxx
1> Generating Code…
1>f:\xmlsam\os.cxx(543): warning C4700: uninitialized local variable ‘iRetVal’ used
1>Lib:
1> xmlsam.vcxproj -> F:\xmlsam\Debug\xmlsam.lib
1>FinalizeBuildStatus:
1> Deleting file "Debug\xmlsam.unsuccessfulbuild".
1> Touching "Debug\xmlsam.lastbuildstate".
1>
1>Build succeeded.
1>
1>Time Elapsed 00:00:01.52
2>—— Rebuild All started: Project: console, Configuration: Debug Win32 ——
2>Build started 3/21/2014 11:26:05 AM.
2>_PrepareForClean:
2> Deleting file "Debug\console.lastbuildstate".
2>InitializeBuildStatus:
2> Touching "Debug\console.unsuccessfulbuild".
2>ClCompile:
2> stdafx.cpp
2> console.cpp
2> Generating Code…
2>main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: int __thiscall AppBase::Init(struct Chars *,int,struct Chars *,int *)" (?Init@AppBase@@QAEHPAUChars@@H0PAH@Z) referenced in function "int __cdecl prop(int,char * *)" (?prop@@YAHHPAPAD@Z)
2>main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall AppBase::~AppBase(void)" (??1AppBase@@QAE@XZ) referenced in function "int __cdecl prop(int,char * *)" (?prop@@YAHHPAPAD@Z)
2>main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall AppBase::AppBase(void)" (??0AppBase@@QAE@XZ) referenced in function "int __cdecl prop(int,char * *)" (?prop@@YAHHPAPAD@Z)
2>os.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__listen@8 referenced in function "int __cdecl OSSockOpenSrvr(int *,int,int *)" (?OSSockOpenSrvr@@YAHPAHH0@Z)
2>os.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__bind@12 referenced in function "int __cdecl OSSockOpenSrvr(int *,int,int *)" (?OSSockOpenSrvr@@YAHPAHH0@Z)
2>os.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__htons@4 referenced in function "int __cdecl OSSockOpenSrvr(int *,int,int *)" (?OSSockOpenSrvr@@YAHPAHH0@Z)
2>os.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__closesocket@4 referenced in function "int __cdecl OSSockOpenSrvr(int *,int,int *)" (?OSSockOpenSrvr@@YAHPAHH0@Z)
2>os.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__socket@12 referenced in function "int __cdecl OSSockOpenSrvr(int *,int,int *)" (?OSSockOpenSrvr@@YAHPAHH0@Z)
2>os.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__inet_ntoa@4 referenced in function "int __cdecl OSSockOpenIncoming(int,char * *,int *,int *)" (?OSSockOpenIncoming@@YAHHPAPADPAH1@Z)
2>os.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__accept@12 referenced in function "int __cdecl OSSockOpenIncoming(int,char * *,int *,int *)" (?OSSockOpenIncoming@@YAHHPAPADPAH1@Z)
2>os.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__connect@12 referenced in function "int __cdecl OSSockOpenClnt(bool,struct Chars *,int,int *,int *)" (?OSSockOpenClnt@@YAH_NPAUChars@@HPAH2@Z)
2>os.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__inet_pton@12 referenced in function "int __cdecl OSSockOpenClnt(bool,struct Chars *,int,int *,int *)" (?OSSockOpenClnt@@YAH_NPAUChars@@HPAH2@Z)
2>os.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__setsockopt@20 referenced in function "int __cdecl OSSetSockOptReuseAddr(int,int,int *)" (?OSSetSockOptReuseAddr@@YAHHHPAH@Z)
2>os.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__ioctlsocket@12 referenced in function "int __cdecl OSSetSockOptBlockMode(int,int,int *)" (?OSSetSockOptBlockMode@@YAHHHPAH@Z)
2>os.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__shutdown@8 referenced in function "int __cdecl OSSockClose(int,int *)" (?OSSockClose@@YAHHPAH@Z)
2>os.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__inet_addr@4 referenced in function "int __cdecl OSMcastSockOpenSrvr(bool,struct Chars *,int,int *,int *)" (?OSMcastSockOpenSrvr@@YAH_NPAUChars@@HPAH2@Z)
2>XMLWrapper.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: static void __cdecl xercesc_3_1::XMLPlatformUtils::Initialize(char const * const,char const * const,class xercesc_3_1::PanicHandler * const,class xercesc_3_1::MemoryManager * const)" (__imp_?Initialize@XMLPlatformUtils@xercesc_3_1@@SAXQBD0QAVPanicHandler@2@QAVMemoryManager@2@@Z) referenced in function "public: __thiscall XMLWrapper::XMLWrapper(struct Chars *)" (??0XMLWrapper@@QAE@PAUChars@@@Z)
2>XMLWrapper.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: static char const * const xercesc_3_1::XMLUni::fgXercescDefaultLocale" (__imp_?fgXercescDefaultLocale@XMLUni@xercesc_3_1@@2QBDB)
2>XMLWrapper.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: static void __cdecl xercesc_3_1::XMLPlatformUtils::Terminate(void)" (__imp_?Terminate@XMLPlatformUtils@xercesc_3_1@@SAXXZ) referenced in function "public: __thiscall XMLWrapper::~XMLWrapper(void)" (??1XMLWrapper@@QAE@XZ)
2>XMLWrapper.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: static void __cdecl xercesc_3_1::XMLString::release(wchar_t * *,class xercesc_3_1::MemoryManager * const)" (__imp_?release@XMLString@xercesc_3_1@@SAXPAPA_WQAVMemoryManager@2@@Z) referenced in function "public: int __thiscall XMLWrapper::InitTable(struct Chars *,int,struct Chars * *,struct tsUDAttr *,int *)" (?InitTable@XMLWrapper@@QAEHPAUChars@@HPAPAU2@PAUtsUDAttr@@PAH@Z)
2>XMLWrapper.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: static char * __cdecl xercesc_3_1::XMLString::transcode(wchar_t const * const,class xercesc_3_1::MemoryManager * const)" (__imp_?transcode@XMLString@xercesc_3_1@@SAPADQB_WQAVMemoryManager@2@@Z) referenced in function "public: int __thiscall XMLWrapper::InitTable(struct Chars *,int,struct Chars * *,struct tsUDAttr *,int *)" (?InitTable@XMLWrapper@@QAEHPAUChars@@HPAPAU2@PAUtsUDAttr@@PAH@Z)
2>XMLWrapper.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: static bool __cdecl xercesc_3_1::XMLString::equals(wchar_t const *,wchar_t const *)" (__imp_?equals@XMLString@xercesc_3_1@@SA_NPB_W0@Z) referenced in function "public: int __thiscall XMLWrapper::InitTable(struct Chars *,int,struct Chars * *,struct tsUDAttr *,int *)" (?InitTable@XMLWrapper@@QAEHPAUChars@@HPAPAU2@PAUtsUDAttr@@PAH@Z)
2>XMLWrapper.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: static wchar_t * __cdecl xercesc_3_1::XMLString::transcode(char const * const,class xercesc_3_1::MemoryManager * const)" (__imp_?transcode@XMLString@xercesc_3_1@@SAPA_WQBDQAVMemoryManager@2@@Z) referenced in function "public: int __thiscall XMLWrapper::InitTable(struct Chars *,int,struct Chars * *,struct tsUDAttr *,int *)" (?InitTable@XMLWrapper@@QAEHPAUChars@@HPAPAU2@PAUtsUDAttr@@PAH@Z)
2>XMLWrapper.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: static class xercesc_3_1::MemoryManager * xercesc_3_1::XMLPlatformUtils::fgMemoryManager" (__imp_?fgMemoryManager@XMLPlatformUtils@xercesc_3_1@@2PAVMemoryManager@2@A)
2>XMLWrapper.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: class xercesc_3_1::DOMDocument * __thiscall xercesc_3_1::AbstractDOMParser::getDocument(void)" (__imp_?getDocument@AbstractDOMParser@xercesc_3_1@@QAEPAVDOMDocument@2@XZ) referenced in function "public: int __thiscall XMLWrapper::InitFile(int *)" (?InitFile@XMLWrapper@@QAEHPAH@Z)
2>XMLWrapper.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: void __thiscall xercesc_3_1::AbstractDOMParser::parse(char const * const)" (__imp_?parse@AbstractDOMParser@xercesc_3_1@@QAEXQBD@Z) referenced in function "public: int __thiscall XMLWrapper::InitFile(int *)" (?InitFile@XMLWrapper@@QAEHPAH@Z)
2>XMLWrapper.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: virtual __thiscall xercesc_3_1::XercesDOMParser::~XercesDOMParser(void)" (__imp_??1XercesDOMParser@xercesc_3_1@@UAE@XZ) referenced in function "public: int __thiscall XMLWrapper::InitFile(int *)" (?InitFile@XMLWrapper@@QAEHPAH@Z)
2>XMLWrapper.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: void __thiscall xercesc_3_1::AbstractDOMParser::setLoadExternalDTD(bool)" (__imp_?setLoadExternalDTD@AbstractDOMParser@xercesc_3_1@@QAEX_N@Z) referenced in function "public: int __thiscall XMLWrapper::InitFile(int *)" (?InitFile@XMLWrapper@@QAEHPAH@Z)
2>XMLWrapper.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: void __thiscall xercesc_3_1::AbstractDOMParser::setDoSchema(bool)" (__imp_?setDoSchema@AbstractDOMParser@xercesc_3_1@@QAEX_N@Z) referenced in function "public: int __thiscall XMLWrapper::InitFile(int *)" (?InitFile@XMLWrapper@@QAEHPAH@Z)
2>XMLWrapper.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: void __thiscall xercesc_3_1::AbstractDOMParser::setDoNamespaces(bool)" (__imp_?setDoNamespaces@AbstractDOMParser@xercesc_3_1@@QAEX_N@Z) referenced in function "public: int __thiscall XMLWrapper::InitFile(int *)" (?InitFile@XMLWrapper@@QAEHPAH@Z)
2>XMLWrapper.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: void __thiscall xercesc_3_1::AbstractDOMParser::setValidationScheme(enum xercesc_3_1::AbstractDOMParser::ValSchemes)" (__imp_?setValidationScheme@AbstractDOMParser@xercesc_3_1@@QAEXW4ValSchemes@12@@Z) referenced in function "public: int __thiscall XMLWrapper::InitFile(int *)" (?InitFile@XMLWrapper@@QAEHPAH@Z)
2>XMLWrapper.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: __thiscall xercesc_3_1::XercesDOMParser::XercesDOMParser(class xercesc_3_1::XMLValidator * const,class xercesc_3_1::MemoryManager * const,class xercesc_3_1::XMLGrammarPool * const)" (__imp_??0XercesDOMParser@xercesc_3_1@@QAE@QAVXMLValidator@1@QAVMemoryManager@1@QAVXMLGrammarPool@1@@Z) referenced in function "public: int __thiscall XMLWrapper::InitFile(int *)" (?InitFile@XMLWrapper@@QAEHPAH@Z)
2>F:\xmlsam\Debug\console.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 32 unresolved externals
2>
2>Build FAILED.
2>
2>Time Elapsed 00:00:00.88
========== Rebuild All: 1 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

March 20, 2014 | 11:22 pm

i Have a static library which compiles and builds fine, code is written using c/c++.
and i have a Console app which uses Static library "xmlsam.lib" as reference.
is there something that i can do ?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)