Unsupported major.minor version 51.0 ERROR when running MXJ quickie

Mar 1, 2012 at 5:33pm

Unsupported major.minor version 51.0 ERROR when running MXJ quickie

Hi,

I have been trying to run java externals using mxj quickie, but it never worked and I was getting this error message in the Max window:

Unsupported major.minor version 51.0

I read online it is a common error when: “you compiled your classes under a specific JDK, but then try to run them under older version of JDK. So, you can’t run classes compiled with JDK 6.0 under JDK 5.0. The same with classes compiled under JDK 7.0 when you try to run them under JDK 6.0.”

My question is, how do I know which version of java is MAX using to run Java? If I knew, I could search for an earlier version to compile, since I am using the last one (downloaded it today). My version of MAX is 5.0.7.

Thank you!
Tsuki

Mar 4, 2012 at 12:13pm

You haven’t specified whether you’re in OS X or Windows, but I can tell you how to do it inside Java itself:

System.getProperty("java.version");

You’d have to Google to match class file versions against Java versions/releases. I have some code for examining that somewhere.

Nov 10, 2012 at 5:11am

Same problem here. Nothing I have tried works. I’m using the latest 1.7 release. I’ve tried editing max.java.config.txt to force java 1.7, ive changed the preferences in mxjpreferences.xml to point to the java jdk, etc etc…any help?

The classes in the max folder work, but compiling the simple “hello world” max tutorial program wont work

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.