Forums > MaxMSP

Upcoming project – would like some advice

October 11, 2012 | 2:52 pm

Hello,

I’m a student learning Max MSP, I’ve used this program before so i know the basics, but I am still a beginner so im learning along the way

I have a great project coming up in my academic module, I was thinking to use the similar idea of Steve Reich’s pendulum music where the microphones, pick up feed back from a microphone and create a weird and eerie sound.

I was thinking to integrate this idea with some dancers holding a microphone and as they dance with the microphones and they would obviously pick up some sounds in the air, and create some weird sound with the microphones using MAX MSP, I’m not sure if this is even possible if it is or if there is any alternative I welcome any helpful advice given.

Thanks,
Spyyke1

October 11, 2012 | 4:29 pm

Hi
as you know Reich’s piece is based on repeating and shifting feedback sounds, triggered by proximity (of swinging mics to speakers). To achieve this with dancers with mics, you don’t even need Max or even a computer. However, use of Max is probably a criterion of your class, so…..

If microphones are to be used to detect proximity then you need to research "signal threshold"; search this forum for related posts using keywords such as "amplitude threshold", "signal trigger" etc, see this excellent example:

http://cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?id=42958

Brendan

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)