Forums > MaxMSP

USB not HID

October 4, 2011 | 7:41 am

Hi,
We have USB device but without HID protocol – spectormeter USB (SV2100).
there are independant software to show spectra, but we need to recevie these data into Max
is there a possibility to receive data from non HID devices?
thanks
msnf

October 5, 2011 | 12:14 pm

Might be stating the obvious but have you tried using the [hi] object? Sometimes it works anyway for devices without the protocol, often with strange results which require conversion.

Depending on what platform you are on, the operating system should look for devices and their drivers when plugged in, as you may be able to get one from the product’s website, then do some tweaking to get it to work.

Regards,

1st Creative Labs Support Team
support@1stcreativesolutions.co.uk

http://www.1stcreativesolutions.co.uk

October 5, 2011 | 2:36 pm

It might work with the serial object. Any link to that device?

mz

October 6, 2011 | 3:03 pm

@ 1st Creative Solution:
yes, at the first I tried hi object but device is not recocnize in Max
I have to use PC (XP and windows7) beacouse the driver and softwar for the spectrometer are not writen on the Mac
The driver is not on the internet – it’s uncommon device and not like midi devices
I am in touch with french ditributor – but they don’t know anything about Max ;-)

@ mzed:
your answer is not clear for me. as I know the serial object works only with ports and devices supported by the standard serial driver. It does not work with USB ports and devices.
Is there any possibility to receive the messages from USB port?

October 6, 2011 | 3:23 pm

The "S" in USB stands for "serial". Many non-HID USB devices can be accessed this way. Arduino is a good example, I have USB GPS module that is another.

Is the device using a FTDI USB chip? Plug in your device, open up the serial help patch and click print. Is there anything that looks promising printed in the Max Window?

October 7, 2011 | 7:30 am

No, I don’t know if the device is using FTDI.
I opened the serial help patch and here is the result:
for "print" message, serial object return -
"port c: COM3"
I put the argument "c" to serial for receiving messages, but there are no data after bang and the only result is from right output (Status Signal):
"read 0"
Maybe its important to know that spectrometer is don’t send data when you plug it in USB port. You have put button "start" in spectrometer software and after the spectrometer is sending data. it is possible that spetromeer software receive data form USB port but Max doesn’t?

October 8, 2011 | 5:21 pm

It’s hard to guess what’s going on. Many devices register themselves as a virtual COM port when plugged in. At that point, any app could have two-way communication with the port. But, it seems like this device is doing something more unusual. I’m not sure they were designing with third party software in mind.

I think it’s beyond my expertise to reverse engineer their communication protocol. I’d try to get some clues from the manufacturer. I think I found it online, but the website doesn’t offer much.

Apologies,
mz

October 8, 2011 | 10:42 pm

yes there are not the technical informations on the website and the device we have is little bit old
for the moment we can start programming to sonify the data from the files made with spectrometer but the idea is to have real time sonification of the ligth spectrums
but if you interested about our project maybe it’s better to contact us privately
thanks for your help!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)