Forums > MaxMSP

USB piping in Max?

March 22, 2008 | 1:47 am

Hello,

I am currently wanting to take in the USB data from my Xbox controller, decode it in Max, replicate the code 5 times, and send it back out into the XBox.

The idea is in reference to the older MadCatz controllers. Like:

http://cgi.ebay.com/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330220350365

The way the code is set to work is when the user hits punch. The control signal is interpreted in MAX and MAX therefore sends out 5 punches putting me at the advantage.

Any hints would be great. Thanks!

P.S. HID would read the signals… but are these true USB bits? And how can I send them out if they are?

March 22, 2008 | 7:17 pm

That sounds awesomely funny and cool. I hope you get this running and finally kick some 14 yr old UT player butts! Now you have to name your online character after Max. :)

Quote: ut_control wrote on Fri, 21 March 2008 18:47
—————————————————-
> Hello,
>
> I am currently wanting to take in the USB data from my Xbox controller, decode it in Max, replicate the code 5 times, and send it back out into the XBox.
>
> The idea is in reference to the older MadCatz controllers. Like:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330220350365
>
> The way the code is set to work is when the user hits punch. The control signal is interpreted in MAX and MAX therefore sends out 5 punches putting me at the advantage.
>
> Any hints would be great. Thanks!
>
> P.S. HID would read the signals… but are these true USB bits? And how can I send them out if they are?
—————————————————-

March 22, 2008 | 11:22 pm

Thanks! Now just to figure out HOW it’s going to work… there is the HI… but I don’t think that’s the answer.

March 24, 2008 | 10:46 pm

I think the HI object is what you’re looking for. It will give you the codes for every button, so it wouldn’t be too difficult to manage this data. I think the output to xbox part will be the difficult here.

March 24, 2008 | 10:57 pm

Hmm… the output would be simple, but my belief is that HI parses data. If this is true, then you are correct, output would be difficult.

That is why I’m wondering if there is another way to read RAW USB with no parsings. Does anyone know if this is even possible?

March 26, 2008 | 6:54 am

I downloaded gnusb from: http://gnusb.sourceforge.net/

Would this work for what I am planning on doing? Does anyone know how to change the code to read from a device named "XBOX controller" instead its default device name?

March 29, 2008 | 7:07 pm

UT Control schrieb:
> The way the code is set to work is when the user hits punch. The
> control signal is interpreted in MAX and MAX therefore sends out 5
> punches putting me at the advantage.

It depends how your game is interpreting the bits. You probably need to
write a driver, that your game will accept (I guess in C) and this
driver will reroute the punches from your controller. Hi doesn’t output
anything, and if it would talk to the controller, not to your game…

Can’t imagine that Max would be helpful for cheating…

I guess it would be even simpler to do it with circuit bending,
duplicate the punches with a little board in the controller, an extra
switch, which would give five punches instead of one to the same pin…

Stefan

Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)