Use Phasor~ for timing. Why?

Mar 19, 2012 at 8:09pm

Use Phasor~ for timing. Why?

Out of pure interest, i would be grateful if someone would like to explain this.

I have no problem with it whatsoever, its always worked a charm for me, and it was advised to me when i started patching, so i always did!

But, i never asked why. So…why?

Thanks

CC

Mar 19, 2012 at 8:58pm

as far as I understand it, because phasor outputs a signal and is therefore part of the signal network, it has a finer timing resolution (ie tens of microseconds rather than hundreds of microseconds) than non-msp objects such as metro. Because it is part of the signal network, it also is locked to all other objects in the same patch, and so there is no long-term drift in timing, relative to other msp objects in the patch

but if you do a search you’ll find more detailed explanations

Mar 19, 2012 at 10:19pm

my guess:
phasor is also short for ‘phase-vector’:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phasor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phasor_measurement_unit

the object ‘phasor~’ in max and pd is based on a similar idea of traversing a vector(of samples) that keeps a running count of phase(from 0 to 1) with sample-accuracy. by definition, it’s highly suited for tight synchronization.

Mar 19, 2012 at 10:31pm

of course you can always implement sample accuracy also when it is not really needed, for example in a sequencer. :)

Mar 19, 2012 at 11:38pm

Cool. That sounds logical to me

Will look more into it

Thanks guys!

CC

Apr 27, 2012 at 12:30pm

Similar to this question, I have a single tempo/frequency relative [phasor~] generating a click for a tempo, and from that same [phasor~] I am generating a 1/2 note sine wave to act as a control signal for the frequency of a [cycle~]. I want to be able to stop, start and reset this patch without loosing synchronisation. Could anyone briefly look at my patch and tell me if I am approaching this correctly? The button at the top of the patch resets everything when pressed.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.