Forums > MaxMSP

Using a sample loaded into a buffer to playback via the cycle object help! :)

May 11, 2010 | 10:37 pm

Hi all,

I am currently building a synth in Max5 for university and I am running into problems with the buffer object. I have generated via wavetable synthesis various waveforms and loaded them into a buffer which plays via the cycle object fine. I also have generated some different waveforms in Wavelab, bounced out one exact cycle and attempted loading them into the buffer to play those back too. I can see them in the graph as normal when bringing that on screen after loading them in, however when it comes to audio coming out there is nothing. Does anyone have any idea what it is I am doing wrong? Any help would be awesome :)

G

If you need pictures then I can printscreen and upload if that will help!

May 11, 2010 | 10:52 pm

My first thought is that if you’re updating the buffer~ associated with a cycle~ object you might need to re-send the set buffer message to that cycle after loading the waveform into the buffer. If that doesn’t help, then I’m not sure and you might have to post the patch.

May 11, 2010 | 11:40 pm

Hi Tim, thanks for the help :) I managed to get it working beforehand but the results aren’t quite how I thought they might be which is slightly annoying but understandable now I can see it in front of me. I’m currently hunting online to see other methods of synthesis to add to the synth for extra marks… at the moment I have a few common waveforms created via an uzi running through various equations to create the right waveshapes – that part works beautifully. I was hoping there would be a nice easy way of using a cycle of a sample and looping it however this doesn’t have the desired effect so knocking that idea on the head.

One of my lecturers told me to look into ‘sample and hold’ but I can’t find anything to reference this with. Bit of a nightmare so I’m considering looking at other options to replace the idea with but if anyone can help that would be awesome :)

G :)

May 11, 2010 | 11:50 pm

AHA! Just to stop anyone else racking their brains, I’ve worked out a solution… basically by using the groove object and longer samples than one cycle it works like a dream :) Thanks for the help still! :)

G

May 12, 2010 | 7:23 am

when you mentioned the [sah~] object, did you mean as another way of referencing your waveshape buffer, or were you looking for an alternative synthesis algorithm?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)