Using Jitter live with MSP?

Feb 16, 2006 at 2:19pm

Using Jitter live with MSP?

Hi All

I searched around (probably not enough) but didn’t find what I was looking for… is it possible to run a Max/MSP patch with say, 200 buffers and some effects AND have jitter outputting video on a 1 GHz powerbook? I’m considering upgrading to Jitter 1.5 from 1.2x and am looking for feedback.

Thanks

John

#24460
Feb 16, 2006 at 5:54pm

well, I dont have a 100% answer for you (I really havent explored the
MSP land unfortunately..), but if you use GL you will save the CPU
from dealing with more stuff from jitter.

but the answer will really depend on how bad-ass your rig is.

good luck!

v a d e //

http://www.vade.info
abstrakt.vade.info

I LIVE! I LIVE! I LIVE! I LIVE! I LIVE! I LIVE! I LIVE! I LIVE! I
LIVE! I LIVE! I LIVE! I LIVE!

You will not be saved by the Holy Ghost. You will not be saved by the
God Plutonium.

In fact, YOU WILL NOT BE SAVED!

#70755
Feb 16, 2006 at 6:06pm

#70756
Feb 17, 2006 at 4:16pm

Thanks for both your suggestions – realize the question is a bit vague… I think what I’m hoping to hear is that folks do use Max/MSP and Jitter together in performance situations and get adequate fps from Jitter. I’m usually using about 300Mb of sound samples plus some effects.

Thanks for your time,

John

#70757
Feb 17, 2006 at 6:07pm

I’m perhaps too conservative, but I’d never do both on a
single machine under those circumstances. Never.

#70758
Feb 17, 2006 at 6:20pm

Thanks Gregory – from your mouth so to speak, that information means a lot!

John

#70759
Feb 17, 2006 at 6:25pm

well, if it’s all you got, it sure is worth trying?

p

#70760
Feb 17, 2006 at 6:35pm

On Feb 17, 2006, at 12:20 PM, John Phillips wrote:

>
> Thanks Gregory – from your mouth so to speak, that information
> means a lot!

I wouldn’t assume anything by this (save for the fact that I’m
running a similar machine) other than that I REALLY prefer
to play it safe. It might also not surprise you terrifically to
discover that I shake my head in mute stupefaction at the
occasional “Hi! I’ve got an important gig tonight and the new
beta release of MSP isn’t behaving as I expect it to. Help
help help!” post when it appears here. SImilar stuff in play.
Although I enjoy improvising, I prefer to restrict the zone in
which I work, when I can.

I should also point out that I’ve not done any real visual
stuff since slabbing came along – it’s true that using your
GPU can really save the cycles, although I have no direct
experience with the CPU savings for throbbing textured
techno-torii. :-) Such video as I have done is like what I
do with audio – it’s simple and quiet and slow (and boring
or “alus” (refined), depending on your point of view).

The possible instructive dilemma that might result from trying
to do both on the same machine is that it would be a great way
to discover precisely how to optimize your particular patch (and
I don’t mean that there’s only one way to do that). Lots of folks
who work with max, in my experience, program right out there
on the hairy edge of things [having perhaps arrived at the
occasionally erroneous assumption that having lots of
samples or a squillion processing options will mean you're
a better performer] and never have the urge to correct it.
Suddenly worrying about Jitter frame rates/whether to run
in Overdrive or not/etc. might wonderfully focus the mind.

In this case, I speak for myself alone – more isn’t necessarily
better.

#70761
Feb 17, 2006 at 6:36pm

On Feb 17, 2006, at 12:25 PM, Peter Nyboer wrote:

> well, if it’s all you got, it sure is worth trying?

Particularly if you’re the sort of person who innovates
well in the face of constraint.

#70762
Feb 17, 2006 at 7:14pm

I would perhaps be less conservative, and recommend seeing what you come
up with. I’ve been able to do quite a lot with a 1GHz powerbook, but it
requires a lot of pruning.

Sometimes such restraints can lead you to brilliant solutions.


AB

#70763
Feb 18, 2006 at 12:06am

agreed.

before the screen died on my Powerbook 800Mhz, id do all my
development on it, which would force me to make things lean and mean,
and run swift and nice on my 1.67Ghz ;)

v a d e //

http://www.vade.info
abstrakt.vade.info

I LIVE! I LIVE! I LIVE! I LIVE! I LIVE! I LIVE! I LIVE! I LIVE! I
LIVE! I LIVE! I LIVE! I LIVE!

You will not be saved by the Holy Ghost. You will not be saved by the
God Plutonium.

In fact, YOU WILL NOT BE SAVED!

#70764

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.