Forums > MaxMSP

Using lower samplerate than your driver supports

December 11, 2008 | 6:21 pm

Hi all,

I have a very complex patch with several dynamic made poly’s with multiprocessor usage and a lot of sends~ and receives~ between them. I would like to run the patch at a lower samplerate than 44k, since there is no high frequency stuff going on.
I know that I can downsample with a poly~ and I know all the stuff about anti aliasing filters. The thing is that I would like to downsample my whole patch to 22k, since downsampling in poly’s would cause the problem that I need to use dac~ and adc~ in the poly’s, and they would come in aliased and there’s nothing you could do about that.
The obvious solution would be to put the soundcards samplerate to 22k, but my MOTU only goes as low as 44k.
Does anyone knows some sort of trick to work around this? maybe "hacking" the soundcard driver or max to force the 22k?
Any help would be very much appreciated,

Thanks in advance,
Kessito

December 11, 2008 | 10:41 pm

December 12, 2008 | 2:29 am

Hi Stefan,

I maybe can get the adc/dac’s outside, but the send and receives would be a problem, since the insances of the poly are dynamically made, what would be the scriptable alternative then?

thanks,
Kessito

December 12, 2008 | 2:47 am

Could you use a tapin~ and tapout~ with little/no delay time?

December 12, 2008 | 7:54 am

December 12, 2008 | 9:17 am

I tried scripting signal send~s before, for use inside a poly~. it didn’t work here, i ended up having to limit the total number of poly~ instances and putting a gate into the gate into the poly~, which distributes the signal to hardcoded send~s upon the number of the instance, via thispoly~. the problem with send~s as well is (on 4.63 at least) that they can’t be named dynamically unless you can script them in a way, that only creates the send~ object and connects it back to otehr objects not created by the script. i wasn’t able to realize that. would have helped loads.

did you get to dynamically create sends inside a poly yourself?

i used javascript to script, maybe that was the wrong way to go?

jrp

December 13, 2008 | 11:34 am

December 13, 2008 | 12:52 pm

Stefan, do you mean in the help fiels for scritping? i’ll have a look, what would be very very great if it worked, really good news, thank you. nevertheless what i need is dynamically named send~s sending from inside the ply to teh outside main patch… i’ll try!

jrp

December 13, 2008 | 3:59 pm

I’m using dynamically named s, r,forward, send~,receive~ inside my poly~s now, and it works fine exept for crackling stuff. Do you say that if I use s and r instead of send~ and receive~ and NOT dynamically name them but making everything I need and then use gate~ to choose the proper input that this won’t work when I script new instances of poly~? even not when I switch the audio off and on again? (this needs to work in a standalone)

Kessito

December 13, 2008 | 10:57 pm

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)