Using Max for guitar

Feb 10, 2009 at 8:57pm

Using Max for guitar

Hey all,

I need some recommendations for how i should set up my guitar through my laptop. I have a mixer and a comp- I just need some help on what I should do about a new sound card.

Also how to get to understand writing for guitar sounds (ie what tutorials to look at etc).

Thanks!

Feb 10, 2009 at 9:21pm

In regards to writing patches for guitar, Darwin Grosse has written a 5 part tutorial on this very subject. The first instalment can be found here:

http://www.cycling74.com/story/2008/7/28/12224/9253

I’ve hooked my guitar up to Max and I did it as I would with any other audio program. I either used a mixer I have or usually a little pre-amp going in to my laptop’s audio in jack connection. In Max you can then use [adc~] to get the signal.

I hope this helps.

lh

Feb 10, 2009 at 9:56pm

but when dealing with performance how would i deal with the latency issue? When i have the basic adc~(gain slider)dac~ set up there’s like a second of delay even when i reduce the latency.

Feb 10, 2009 at 11:57pm

Latency could be introduced at several stages.

first, it could depend on your physical setup and your sound card (firewire
soundcards usually have less latency.)

Inside Max significant amount of latency could be added by the DSP settings.

check: menu > options > DSP Status > I/O Vector size and Signal Vector Size

the smaller these vector sizes the less latency you would get but in the
cost of more CPU. 128 should be about ideal for live with the average CPU
power these days. run your guitar through a simple in/out Max patch (acd~ to
dac~) to test and if you still have about a second long latency then the
problem is probably elsewhere.

-nav

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 4:56 PM, paul <
paulespinoza.isfromafaroffplace@gmail.com> wrote:

>
> but when dealing with performance how would i deal with the latency issue?
> When i have the basic adc~(gain slider)dac~ set up there’s like a second of
> delay even when i reduce the latency.
>

Feb 11, 2009 at 12:44am

Quote: Backtothaessence wrote on Tue, 10 February 2009 15:56
—————————————————-
> but when dealing with performance how would i deal with the latency issue? When i have the basic adc~(gain slider)dac~ set up there’s like a second of delay even when i reduce the latency.
—————————————————-

A full second of latency? What kind of hardware are you using?

If you’re only using the inputs on your computer then I would suggest getting a firewire interface. I play through a MOTU UltraLite with processing and I get very low latency.

Feb 11, 2009 at 1:02am

ya, a full second of latency is not likely to do with Max itself, i’ve never had that kind of a problem(unless you purposely set the DSPSettings… to a large vector-size). and I would have to agree also about the MOTU Ultralite. I have beautifully low latency as well with it. Setting the vector sizes in the DSPSettings… helps, too. With my Ultralite, a vector size of 128 running at 44.1KHz really does sound like a negligible amount of delay and even better at 48K and 96K and almost unnoticeable at the higher sampling rates with a vector-size of 64 and below(i can only hear a delay if I also have a dry signal running from my Ultralite input straight to the output via the MOTU’s internal standalone mixer… sounds like a comb filter… when i mix dry with wet all in Max(the proper way) the dry is negligibly delayed by the same vector-size and so it all sounds and feels natural). You should be able to get your guitar to feel right with minimal delay as you’re playing it(as long as you don’t use any crazy FFT effects and even then, I’ve had good luck).

Feb 11, 2009 at 9:54pm

yeah i just use a USB M-Audio Fastrack interface. then the signals out goes back through the fastrack output.

I was thinking about getting a firewire interface.

Feb 12, 2009 at 9:30am

if you’re using vista try downloading the ASIO4all audio driver: http://www.asio4all.com/

It got rid of the latency that drove me nuts for about a year.

Feb 12, 2009 at 10:11pm

I’ve seen some latency in USB devices that starts out low latency, and gets into higher latency after it’s been on a while.

I’ve also found that changing the in/out vector size in DSP settings can dramatically change the fullness and depth of your guitar sound. I usually use 256-512, and I can hear the difference. 128 is very thin sounding, to me. I’m not sure if other max users have noticed this. I also use a motu ultralite.

Feb 13, 2009 at 12:33am

yeah i also noticed that about the vector output.

but i was shopping around for some Motu Ultralites and there seems to be a few types. the MK 3 and the Mk II being just a couple. what kind do you recommend for speed, quality, and price?

Feb 13, 2009 at 8:49am

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:33am

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.