Forums > MaxMSP

Using Max to modulate a synthesizer's parameters.

July 14, 2013 | 6:24 pm

Is there any way to control the parameters of a synth using Max?

July 14, 2013 | 8:38 pm

are you serious?

yes. That should be possible.
what do you mean?

July 14, 2013 | 8:56 pm

How do I do it? Like, how do I know where to send the max signals so that they tell the synth what to do?

July 14, 2013 | 9:22 pm

Vague Question is vague.

July 14, 2013 | 9:33 pm

I don’t really know how to make it more specific. If a have a synth vst in FL Studio, how do I get Max to modulate a parameter on the synth. How do I send values to the synths to modulate the parameters?

July 14, 2013 | 9:58 pm

I don’t really know how to make it more specific.

And yet you managed to!

If a have a synth vst in FL Studio, how do I get Max to modulate a parameter on the synth. How do I send values to the synths to modulate the parameters?

Now that we know you’re talking about a software synth we can get closer to helping out. Max objects like [midiout], [noteout], and [ctlout] will let you send MIDI data out of Max’s virtual ports. Which one you use will depend on what kind of MIDI data FL uses to control parameters.

July 14, 2013 | 10:02 pm

How do I send those messages to a specific synth inside of FL Studio?

July 14, 2013 | 10:12 pm

That’s really a question for an FL forum. I’ve never used it personally.

If it works like most DAWs then there should be some way to choose what MIDI inputs the app is using. Should look something like "from Max 1".

From there you’ll have to figure out how to map incoming data to particular parameters on the synth, which is, again, an FL issue and nothing to do with Max.

As for Max, external control like this is often done with CC messages, so the [ctlout] object is what you use.

July 14, 2013 | 10:18 pm

Thanks!

July 14, 2013 | 10:42 pm

"how do I know where to send the max signals so that they tell the synth what to do?"

in case you really mean "where" i would say … send them to the synth?

July 15, 2013 | 7:17 am

But how do you specify which synth? If I have three different synths, and send a signal to affect just one of them, how do keep from sending it to all three?

July 15, 2013 | 7:31 am

You use a virtual midi connection and send each synth messages on seperate midi channels.

July 15, 2013 | 5:23 pm

Ah, okay. Thanks!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)