using multiple #1 symbol arguments to pass multiple arguments to abstraction

Aug 1, 2011 at 11:51pm

using multiple #1 symbol arguments to pass multiple arguments to abstraction

Hi all,

I’m trying to send an abstraction two arguments and I’m having trouble figuring out how to do this.

In Pd, inside an absraction I would put a [receive $1_$2_envsize] and then one level up I would give that abstraction object two arguments, say “table1″ and “5″. then if I sent a message to [send table1_5_envsize] the receive within that abstraction would receive the value.

In Max, this doesn’t work. it will only allow one symbol argument, e.g. #1_envsize. but it won’t recognize a second #2 after the #1, e.g. #1_#2_envsize.

Does anyone know how to get something like this working?

Many thanks!

Aug 1, 2011 at 11:54pm

AHH! I instantly figure it out.

In Max, you have to separate the #1 #2 with a space. So in relation to the Pd example I gave above, #1 #2_envsize would work.

Aug 2, 2011 at 2:29am

I believe that any #1 or #2 etc. also needs to be at the beginning of the symbol you’re using, if you’re using a name/symbol. so [send #1_my_value] works (you can replace the #1 with an argument), but [send my_#1_value] won’t. however, you can do more exact substitution trickery with [sprintf].

Aug 2, 2011 at 3:07am

Yeah I was mistaken on my fix..

Wow this is killing me! Pd is sooo much better in certain areas – this is one of them.

So if I would like to specify two unique arguments to be passed to an abstraction, I can use sprintf? How would I do that?

Many thanks!

Aug 3, 2011 at 1:20am

ok I think I was wrong, just use #1 #2 #3 #4 etc. for multiple arguments in the abstraction, keeping the #1 #2 etc. at the front of symbols (if you use symbols at all). [sprintf] is for formatting messages/symbols and lets you insert elements right into symbols regardless of spaces, which the standard message box won’t allow. I tried

[sprintf #1_my_msg my_#2_msg]

in an abstraction with the arguments 4 and 66, and got

[sprintf 4_my_msg my_#2_msg]

as the result, so again, it didn’t substitute the #2 when it was within a symbol.

Aug 3, 2011 at 1:42am

“In Max, you have to separate the #1 #2 with a space. So in relation to the Pd example I gave above, #1 #2_envsize would work.”

yes, but that would end up as

list “100 200_envsize”

and that might be not what you want.

so in case you really need to include 2 arguments-to-patcher in a symbol, you have to
format the symbol after you received the args.

p.s. re:sprintf: thats the way to go.

in the above example you would just concatenate two symbols into one:

[loadbang]
[t #1_]   [t #2_envsize]
[zl join]
[sprintf %s%s]

which, btw, would make another nice abstraction itself, if you need that regulary.

i dont have maxmsp here now … i think you can also use the right inlet instead of zl join.

Aug 3, 2011 at 1:48pm

yep, the right inlet of [sprintf] would be fine, just make sure it gets there before the left (“hot”) inlet, which sends out the whole symbol.

Makes sense about the [sprintf], good clarification.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.