Forums > MaxMSP

Using one ezdac at a time?

January 23, 2014 | 2:35 am

I’ve built a patch using six different ‘ezdac’ buttons (as required) but I can’t figure out how to only use one at a time as at the moment, they all turn on. I found an example of how to do this on the internet, but it hasn’t worked. Any ideas?

I’m using Max 6.1.6.

Thanks.

January 23, 2014 | 6:17 am

ezdac~ is controlling a global state. That state affects every single MSP object open in Max at the time. It’s generally not best practice to have more than one ezdac~ in a patch at all, because it just makes you think you can control them individually, which you can’t.

What you can do is send the ezdac~ (or plain-vanilla dac~ or adc~) a ‘startwindow’ message. That way DSP is only turned on for the objects in the current window (and its sub-patches). That’s as fine-grained as the control gets. Otherwise you have to use poly~ or other techniques to only activate part of a patch.

This is all explained in the tutorials. I hate to bring those up, but it if you’ve misunderstood this one, very fundamental aspect of MSP, there are probably other things you’re making false assumptions about. Time well spent.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)