Using the game Simon to support classroom learning

Jan 8, 2012 at 8:07pm

Using the game Simon to support classroom learning

Hi all and good evening,

I am currently a music teacher in the UK and I am always looking at ways to develop ICT in the classroom. I have been using Max for 2 years and enjoy using it thoroughly.
I am designing a patch that uses the concept of the game simon, replacing the four colours with the 8 notes (from c – b) on the keyboard. The game will get harder each round as does the original game.
I started the patch of by getting lots of random data and sticking it into a text object, all the numbers ranging from 1-8 representing c-b on the keyboard and also a colour that flashes up in relation to the key. I then separated each number and sent them to a menu object to create a list to make it easier to manage the numbers.
This is the point where I am now stuck! I can get the colours to increment i.e. 1st round = red, 2nd round = red, blue, 3rd round = red, blue, yellow, 4th round = red, blue, yellow, yellow etc… However I don’t know how I can match this process up with the user input? I know that its a long shot but I would be grateful if anyone could help on this one. Please let me know if I can further my explanation to help.

Nick :)

Jan 8, 2012 at 11:22pm

hi Nick. Here’s how I’d do it:

Bang an uzi at the beginning. Have that hit random a bunch of times, and make that a list in a coll or multislider, something easily accessible.

Then with each new key input from the player, increment along that row of numbers, comparing as you go. Are they the same? Good, get next number. No? Then give an error sound and start the process over.

It would still be easy to hook up the colour display thing.

Getting the colours to correspond to user input? Well, a counter incrementing up to 8 or however many you want in a sequence – once it hits that, clock another counter that increments the lights.

Jan 8, 2012 at 11:37pm

Thanks a lot for your help! I’ll definitely give this a try. I think looking back at my patch I’ve over complicated things and cant retrace my routes through the patch to get things working.

Thanks a lot :)

Nick

Jan 9, 2012 at 12:03am

Hi Nick,
This should give you a couple of ideas:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.