Forums > MaxMSP

Using the lcd for drawing…

January 31, 2007 | 4:13 pm

I apologize for such a basic question, I’ve searched through the PDF and Archive and cannot figure out how I can control messages being sent to the lcd in a particular order. It’s probably due to my background of programming in WinAPI, OpenGL and other API’s with graphic packages, so it’s possible the paradigm that I am trying to analyze it with is why I’m not getting it.

I want to:

Clear the background to a color (to erase previous image)
Draw a waveform (series of lines)
Draw a line
Draw a circle

If somehow I missed where this was, please point me in the right direction!

Rick

January 31, 2007 | 4:49 pm

This doesn’t really have to do with the LCD, it’s about ordering of messages and your data, which is utterly fundamental in Max (as in any language). Message boxes can send multiple messages when they’re separated by commas, so that’s one way to keep them in a specific order. Also you could have a set of message boxes and a trigger / t that will bang them in (right-to-left output). Do study up on trigger, it’s also utterly fundamental and sometimes overlooked.

For long series of messages you can use a coll–each index has a separate message / command. Then you iterate through them with a number box (coming from a counter or somesuch).

-C

January 31, 2007 | 4:52 pm

Ahhh…okay, that is making more sense now. I was seeing some of this in other threads as I continued to search for an answer. I will also look at the trigger stuff as well.

Thanks for such a quick response.

February 1, 2007 | 12:02 pm

yup its only a matter of "how do i format messages in maxmsp".

you would for example divide the "clear" message from the
quickdraw(-like) command "paintrect" by a comma.

or by having the two commands in 2 messageboxes and trigger
them by a [t b b] … see trigger helpfile.

February 1, 2007 | 5:30 pm

I ended up going with the trigger command, it works great. Now I just need to learn how to organize my patch better…it looks like the back side of my studio at the moment :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)