Variable Vocal Vibrato Depth and Ramp Time

Feb 18, 2012 at 8:56pm

Variable Vocal Vibrato Depth and Ramp Time

Hi!

I’m wondering how to use the line object so that I can vary the start point, end point, and ramp time of an incoming audio signal. I’m already working with gizmo~ so the audio side is okay for the moment. My problem is actually with the line object. How can I vary each element separately?

Another problem: I can’t get a copy of Max 6 until hopefully next week, so I’m working with Max 4.5. So please don’t post Max 5 patches if you are trying to help!

Cheers : )

Feb 19, 2012 at 2:00am

I have no idea whether I’m correctly understanding what you need or what you’re trying to do, but maybe this example is relevant(?)

Example 15: Amplitude modulation and frequency modulation.

Feb 19, 2012 at 9:58am

Thanks for the reply! Some of the information on that page helped, but it’s not exactly what I’m looking for. You see, what I hope to do is have my vocals processed by Max Msp and have the processed effects realised by a midi controller with Max. I am currently trying to generate a live vocal vibrato effect where the line object runs up and down around the incoming pitch using
a duplicate of the incoming pitch and the gizmo~ object.

All I need to do is make the vibrato depth and ramp time adjustable with dials on my midi controller! It sounds so easy but I can’t figure it out!

I am dealing with FM I guess, but not with periodic waveforms. Therefore I can’t get my head around a way to achieve this!

Feb 19, 2012 at 12:34pm

For a vibrato with gizmo~ try something like this:

[attachment=185807,3381]

Attachments:
  1. gizmovibrato.png
Feb 19, 2012 at 12:52pm

Great. Thanks for that! I’ll have a look at it now. While you posted that I was creating a prehistoric patch for dealing with the same issue! It works too, but it makes me laugh a little!

+ There’s still a few timing issues to resolve.

[attachment=185808,3382]

Attachments:
  1. myvib.PNG
Feb 19, 2012 at 1:15pm

Feb 19, 2012 at 6:38pm

You can impose vibrato on a sound with simple flanging. Modulating the delay time causes pitch fluctuation, so if you modulate the delay time with a LFO you get vibrato-like effects.

Here’s a basic flanger~ abstraction. (Note that tapin~/tapout~ has a minimum delay of one signal vector, so that’s the minimum latency of this method in MSP.)

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

As you can read in the article “Categories of Perception for Vibrato, Flange, and Stereo Chorus: Mapping Out the Musically Useful Ranges of Modulation Rate and Depth for Delay-Based Effects“, a maximum flange depth of 1 ms is amply sufficient for subtle musical uses, and depths greater than that are more in the range of “supra-useful” values for more obvious audio effects. I made this flanger capable of accepting flange depths up to 10 ms, so you can get extreme modulation effects with it if you so desire.

Here’s a patch that lets you test the flanger~ abstraction (provided you have saved it in Max’s file search path with the name “flanger~”).

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.