Forums > Jitter

Vertex (?) Feedback

February 4, 2012 | 5:16 pm

hallo,

i am making an audio visualization using jit.catch~ and 3d shapes mixed together onto a mesh… as a texture for the mesh i am using the matrixoutput of the 3d shapes, which makes some interesting feedback-type patterns. what i am wondering is what are some other ways to alter the look of the texture besides the attributes: texgen, apply, colormode, wrap… and what are some other techniques to generate interesting geometric shapes from audio?

-dust

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

February 4, 2012 | 6:54 pm

you left out a bunch of stuff from this patch, including the render section, qmetro and so on, right?

February 4, 2012 | 10:34 pm

yes i did…. here’s another version with the missing parts.

February 4, 2012 | 11:03 pm

sweet, lemme have a look at that. I’m working on something that is eerily similar. Also, where did you find the draw_mode menus? Or did you do those yourself? I’m so stealing those! :)

My personal favourite to mess with matrices for jit.gl.mesh? It’s kinda silly, but… jit.rota. The *madness* you can get out of running a torus through that fucker? Sheesh.

February 4, 2012 | 11:08 pm

hmm. How about if you do "@matrixoutput 2" and then rotate them in relation to each other *before* jit.op’ing them together? That might yield some unexpected awesomeness?

February 4, 2012 | 11:20 pm

hehe… yup. Add in my little rota suggestion and you’re likely to have some really complex throbbing techno donuts going on.

fwiw this is what I did and played around with. Load the preset. These yield quite interesting 3dshapes that warrant a bit of rotation, which I see you have hard-wired to controllers, too.

February 4, 2012 | 11:48 pm

hi wetterberg, thanks for the replies!

hrm, unfortunately i don’t have max6 yet, so i can’t enjoy whatever "attrui" does…. and is "@matrixoutput 2" something new in max6???

February 5, 2012 | 12:55 am

whoops, didn’t scope that – attrui is this little gizmo that lets you easily access the attributes. you can swap them out with "position $1 $2 $3" and "rotatexyz $1 $2 $3"

*loads up max5*
…uhm… yeah. matrixoutput 2 lets you do the transforms before the matrixoutput, but you can do at least "position $1 $2 $3′" with simple jit.+ as well. rotate would require a fair bit of math, I reckon?

February 5, 2012 | 4:15 am

jit.slide is good. i like how it transforms the shapes, very nice. i see what you mean about rotating the gridshapes, will give that a try.

any advice on how to change the look of the geo3 texture or generate other textures? still working towards opengl fractals, not quite there yet though.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)