Forums > MaxMSP

Vertical Fader Pict Ctrl…?

May 17, 2009 | 3:29 pm

Just wondering if anyone knows a way to graphically create their own faders and implement them into their patch. What I’ve assumed is if your fader has 128 values, you’d need 128 pictures of the fader at all the possible positions.. But im not even sure if its possible. Advice..?

May 17, 2009 | 3:33 pm

With [pictslider] you can use one image for the background and one for the control.

lh

May 17, 2009 | 4:09 pm

Very cool. Thank you sir..

May 17, 2009 | 7:06 pm

Lol, 128 pics. Now that would have been funny!

May 18, 2009 | 3:46 am
stoplaughing wrote on Sun, 17 May 2009 10:29
Just wondering if anyone knows a way to graphically create their own faders and implement them into their patch. What I’ve assumed is if your fader has 128 values, you’d need 128 pictures of the fader at all the possible positions.. But im not even sure if its possible. Advice..?

You can do the 128-pic thing with matrixctrl set to dial mode, it works great for things like velocity. Sounds like a lot of work but there are shortcuts, like the app Knobman. I’m also working on a patch to create these matrixctrl dials using a jit.gl.gridshape (choose # of positions and start/end appearance, pattr to go between them, automatically create a png with the right format). It works well now but I want to make it more flexible. Will post soon.

May 19, 2009 | 7:55 am

actually you don’t 128 picts, it works fine with less. I usually take 32. The values of the slider/knob can still be as high as you want…

Stefan

June 1, 2009 | 2:44 pm

Just to echo,

I use a combination of knobman and adobe illustrator. (And some inkscape which works great too) Knobman is pretty basic and can’t handle high quality graphics but ends up being the best solution, and by far the easiest/fastest way to make well functioning ui objects.

I would love to see some more patches in max which help create UI objects in a more tangible way and on the fly!

I am planning on starting a Max UI graphics library online where i plan on posting my own graphics as well as encouraging other max folks to do the same. I know it would be really handy for me to have a go to site to grab ready to use graphics with examples.

jon

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)