Forums > Max For Live

very basic question re: abstractions in M4L

July 18, 2012 | 5:35 am

Hi
Newbie question. I find that I have to close the Max editor window and reopen it (to force a save of the .amxd) to get a newly instantiated abstraction to work. I’m on Live 8.2.2 but have Max 6. Is that by design?

Here’s a super simple abstraction (choose track, change volume) that illustrates (I’m also attaching the actual maxpat in case that effects the issue).

Thanks!

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Attachments:
  1. volchange.maxpat

July 18, 2012 | 10:08 am

I think this behavior is more or less by design. Since the editor runs in the Max environment, the device needs to be loaded once into Live (by closing the editor) to initialize the API operations in the Live environment. Generally, the initialization aspects of Max vs. M4L are rather tricky and you may find some related discussions on this forum.

July 18, 2012 | 4:44 pm

Its also one of the reasons why I hardly use the ‘system abstractions’ but only my own stuff. Most abstractions are very good examples but IMO you gain more by coding them yourselves (sometimes you can even make things a little more fluent).

What I do so far is keep a "HelloWorld" patch around which contains a selection of patcher objects with all my routines. When I need something I simply drag this in, copy the patcher objects I need and then paste those into my new patch. I know I could also add this patch to the "Extra’s" menu but so far couldn’t be bothered with that ;)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)