Video Camera Compatability

Apr 20, 2013 at 5:39pm

Video Camera Compatability

I am seeking an HD video camera, OSX and Jitter compatible, capable of 30fps or greater, non-wifi, upon which I can permanently turn off auto-focus.
The macam support page seems like it’s at least a few product cycles out-of-date, and I’ve now been through six different webcams from four different manufacturers (Brother, Gearhead, HP, Logitech) without luck.
But it doesn’t have to be a webcam, as long as it turns on and immediately starts sending video without on-camera set-up. When this camera is installed, it won’t be accessible.

Recommendations much appreciated.

Apr 22, 2013 at 12:28pm

Most of the chatter on this topic in the forums is three or six years old. And the camera market has evolved huge since then.

Apr 27, 2013 at 3:33am

I make standalones of my max patches and distribute them as free apps on my website. I made a “camera compatibility” page that describes some strategies for getting modern cameras into max (newer MACAM builds from openframeworks forums, UVC-CTRL software for webcam manual exposure, Camera Live to pipe Canon DSLR live-view to Syphon).
http://www.zachpoff.com/software/camera-compatibility/
Hope it helps.
-ZLP

May 11, 2013 at 1:06am

I have used a Logitec usb webcam that supports 1080P however the lens is fixed / auto with this kind of setup. Another option is to use something like the Blackmagic Mini Recorder or Intensity hardware over thunderbolt and then plug any video camera in that supports HDMI out. This way you would have more control over focal lengths and manual settings

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.