Forums > Jitter

video card recommendation? (win xp)

June 2, 2006 | 3:31 pm

Hi-ho listees (and forumers).

I’m accustomed to working with Apple machines, but I have a client who
has his heart set on using a Windows box. So I’m accustomed to the
"out of the box" experience, where it "just works" (to a point).

Being a bit… unfamiliar with the territory, I’m curious if anone has
any recommendations for video cards running Jitter on Windows. I’ll
be doing some light compositiong on a real time video, so shader
suport is a ++. Ultimately, it ought be a dual head card (or 2 OpenGL
accelerated cards if necessary, though I think that’s overkill.)

Obviously I’ll be lookimg for more video memory, but is there a
sinifigant difference between ATI and NVIDIA cards these days? Does
one card have better support than another? Is the "Best Buys gaming
machine" good enough? Will Batman survive this week’s episode?

Thanks for the help.

~scott

June 2, 2006 | 11:20 pm

hi scott,

I am not that much into the up-to-date or state of the art video cards, but it’s pretty hard to choose a "wrong card" these days as probably all cards support shaders you can deal with in Jitter -and dual head is almost obligatory.

I am using an ATI FireGL T2 Mobility (that is more than a year old) in my Thinkpad and the card was never responsible for any problems or a bottleneck. They come for PCI-express and AGP. I’d go for a FireGL V3200 upwards if you use PCI express or a FireGl Z1 (and upwards) for AGP.
If you are looking for a card that just suits jitter, they are not the first choice and they come with rather little video memory.(but great support for CAD). Then you better go for one of this fancy state of the art gaming cards. Just be careful, as gaming cards often save money by just serving one DVI output and a simple vga one.

Anyway, I guess you won’t manage to drive any videocard really hot by using jitter.

best .tom

June 3, 2006 | 1:44 am

Thanks Tom.

I wound up getting a fancy NVIDIA card with 256 meg ram (!!). Best
Buy had some sort of prebuilt thing that the client purchased.

Thanks again for the advice.

~s

June 3, 2006 | 2:51 pm

for the sake of the archives, here’s some thoughts…

i have an nVidia 6800gs made by XFX that works pretty well. it has svideo, dvi and vga output. I’m mostly happy with it, but, in my limited experience, I was happier with my ATI Radeon 9800 because of the drivers. The nVidia drivers have been somewhat dodgy, with odd numbering of my monitors, and occaisional fiddling with the settings to get things right. The ATI drivers were less finicky.
Also worth noting is that there are lots of different manufacturers that use the ATI and nVidia chipsets. Some suck, others are good. How do you tell? Use something like http://www.newegg.com to check user reviews, I guess, and check toms hardware guide http://www.tomshardware.com/ to see reviews.

Recently, I’ve had irritating problems with laptop video cards, both intel (yes, intel) and ATI. These have had to do with rendering a gl.context to a jitter matrix. It turns out that doublebuffer setting for the jit.window was the culprit….

here’s some chip comparisons which can help you sort out the 7′s, 6′s, 1′s, GX, GS and the like!
ATI: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/131
nVidia: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/132

June 3, 2006 | 3:06 pm

Hi,
I have a Chaintech 6800 GT AGP in my tower and I’ve been getting the
same problem. Does yours consist of strange artifacting when moving
windows around while the patch is running? It’s horribly annoying and
it took me awhile to figure it out. Maybe it has to do with AGP? (Only
relationship I see between my card and the laptop cards – as most new
high-end cards are PCI-Ex)

Mat

June 5, 2006 | 5:26 pm

no the render problem wasn’t on my 6800gs, it was on a x1300 ATI in a laptop and some Intel card on another laptop. I haven’t experienced the artifacts you speak of. The problems i’ve had with my XFX 6800GS:
What is my "2nd" monitor (no taskbar or icons – not designated as "Primary monitor" in drivers") is considered "Monitor 1" to the system (monitor 0 to jit.display). This is more a problem for my developer brain, because it means I can’t rely on monitor 2 to be the "extra" monitor all the time.
Startup problems where all the graphics look really messed up and broken. All i can do is restart 2-6 times and it eventually goes away. I’m pretty sure it’s the card, but who knows with these stupid windows machines :)

p.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)