video sequencing, (jitter or not?)

Dec 6, 2007 at 12:46pm

video sequencing, (jitter or not?)

Hello All,

I may be working on a project soon that requires live video
sequencing (with different sections triggered by the performers), I
am not designing the sequences my self but need to design a patch
that allows easily manageable programing of sequences. This has to be
tempo synched also with a click track so timing is crucial. Now the
problem is that I have never used jitter and I know little about
digital video processing and sequencing.

Do I need jitter in order to trigger and tempo synch video playback
with max? Since there is no video processing going on (just simple
sequencing but with precise timing) I would rather not have to buy
jitter if it’s not necessary. Are there any other, possibly free
tools that with allow this (for example via OSC?). And finally if
jitter is the only way, how difficult would it be to learn how to
trigger and sequence video with jitter?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Many thanks in advance.

Peiman

#34911
Dec 6, 2007 at 7:11pm

You could certainly use Processing to play your video:

http://www.processing.org/

There is an OSC library. I wouldn’t guarantee sample-accurate timing, but probably frame-accurate. I expect there are a number of other solutions.

mz

Quote: peimankhosravi@gmail.com wrote on Thu, 06 December 2007 04:46
—————————————————-
> Hello All,
>
> I may be working on a project soon that requires live video
> sequencing (with different sections triggered by the performers), I
> am not designing the sequences my self but need to design a patch
> that allows easily manageable programing of sequences. This has to be
> tempo synched also with a click track so timing is crucial. Now the
> problem is that I have never used jitter and I know little about
> digital video processing and sequencing.
>
> Do I need jitter in order to trigger and tempo synch video playback
> with max? Since there is no video processing going on (just simple
> sequencing but with precise timing) I would rather not have to buy
> jitter if it’s not necessary. Are there any other, possibly free
> tools that with allow this (for example via OSC?). And finally if
> jitter is the only way, how difficult would it be to learn how to
> trigger and sequence video with jitter?
>
> I would appreciate any suggestions.
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Peiman
>
>
—————————————————-

#118389
Dec 6, 2007 at 7:17pm

I also use a program called Isadora which is pretty good for video multimedia work. It’s not very deep in it’s audio capabilities, but i think it’s easier to do some things in there than in Max.
I think they have a free demo you can try out, and it’s much cheaper than Max, I think it was about $300 (US) which is like 2 euros these days. :)

http://troikatronix.com/

#118390
Dec 6, 2007 at 7:23pm

Thanks very much for the replies,

I will certainly try both options (processing and max’s movie objects).

Best
Peiman

On 6 Dec 2007, at 19:11, mzed wrote:

>
> You could certainly use Processing to play your video:
>
> http://www.processing.org/
>
> There is an OSC library. I wouldn’t guarantee sample-accurate
> timing, but probably frame-accurate. I expect there are a number
> of other solutions.
>
> mz
>
>
> Quote: peimankhosravi@gmail.com wrote on Thu, 06 December 2007 04:46
> —————————————————-
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I may be working on a project soon that requires live video
>> sequencing (with different sections triggered by the performers), I
>> am not designing the sequences my self but need to design a patch
>> that allows easily manageable programing of sequences. This has to be
>> tempo synched also with a click track so timing is crucial. Now the
>> problem is that I have never used jitter and I know little about
>> digital video processing and sequencing.
>>
>> Do I need jitter in order to trigger and tempo synch video playback
>> with max? Since there is no video processing going on (just simple
>> sequencing but with precise timing) I would rather not have to buy
>> jitter if it’s not necessary. Are there any other, possibly free
>> tools that with allow this (for example via OSC?). And finally if
>> jitter is the only way, how difficult would it be to learn how to
>> trigger and sequence video with jitter?
>>
>> I would appreciate any suggestions.
>>
>> Many thanks in advance.
>>
>> Peiman
>>
>>
> —————————————————-
>
>
> –
> || michael f. zbyszynski — molecular gastronimist
> || http://www.cnmat.berkeley.edu/
> || http://www.mikezed.com/
>
>
>

#118391
Dec 6, 2007 at 7:49pm

Ive used jitter to do sequencing, and with the preroll attribute and
loadram, with a little work you can get playback of full framesize/
rate SD video at FCP quality playback, meaning, no stutters/jumps
between switching movies. Its pretty cool.

processing can certainly handle the sequencing, but movie playback –
not so much. Ive tried, and everyone ive spoke to who is doing work
with video in processing is either doing non realtime rendering, or is
using another system to play the video back. (meaning, playing back
movie files, not necessarily generative openGL realtime output -which
is totally doable).

just FYI, not being a hater, just saying :)

On Dec 6, 2007, at 2:23 PM, Peiman Khosravi wrote:

> Thanks very much for the replies,
>
> I will certainly try both options (processing and max’s movie
> objects).
>
> Best
> Peiman
>
> On 6 Dec 2007, at 19:11, mzed wrote:
>
>>
>> You could certainly use Processing to play your video:
>>
>> http://www.processing.org/
>>
>> There is an OSC library. I wouldn’t guarantee sample-accurate
>> timing, but probably frame-accurate. I expect there are a number
>> of other solutions.
>>
>> mz
>>
>>
>> Quote: peimankhosravi@gmail.com wrote on Thu, 06 December 2007 04:46
>> —————————————————-
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> I may be working on a project soon that requires live video
>>> sequencing (with different sections triggered by the performers), I
>>> am not designing the sequences my self but need to design a patch
>>> that allows easily manageable programing of sequences. This has to
>>> be
>>> tempo synched also with a click track so timing is crucial. Now the
>>> problem is that I have never used jitter and I know little about
>>> digital video processing and sequencing.
>>>
>>> Do I need jitter in order to trigger and tempo synch video playback
>>> with max? Since there is no video processing going on (just simple
>>> sequencing but with precise timing) I would rather not have to buy
>>> jitter if it’s not necessary. Are there any other, possibly free
>>> tools that with allow this (for example via OSC?). And finally if
>>> jitter is the only way, how difficult would it be to learn how to
>>> trigger and sequence video with jitter?
>>>
>>> I would appreciate any suggestions.
>>>
>>> Many thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Peiman
>>>
>>>
>> —————————————————-
>>
>>
>> –
>> || michael f. zbyszynski — molecular gastronimist
>> || http://www.cnmat.berkeley.edu/
>> || http://www.mikezed.com/
>>
>>
>>
>

#118392
Dec 6, 2007 at 7:50pm

#118393

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.