Forums > MaxMSP

vocoder challenge

July 4, 2008 | 10:59 pm

Looking to build a better sounding vocoder than the one included already in the max/msp bundle (sorry homies, you did a great job, just craving for something "thicker" and more "robotic" sounding…more Beastie Boys "Intergalactic" vibe)

below is a link to some mp3 i found, that comes close to what i am thinking of attempting.

http://www.shelaq.de/talking_synth/sounds/sample03.mp3

Any help will be much apprecited (or should i say pointers, cuz i RTFM every day). Thanks!
-chuck


July 6, 2008 | 9:07 am

Chubb schrieb:
> below is a link to some mp3 i found, that comes close to what i am
> thinking of attempting.
>
> http://www.shelaq.de/talking_synth/sounds/sample03.mp3

This is not a vocoder sound, I guess its some sort of LPC (Linear
Predictive Coding)… Look for text to speech conversion…

Stefan


Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com


July 6, 2008 | 4:55 pm

As Stephan pointed out, what i was looking for is not a vocoder sound. So, i must really give kudos to cycling for the vocoder sound (which i use). i am always looking to create really insane sounding vocal effects, hence the request to create a vocal induced LPC (linear predictive codiing). i love computers, but i would rather do the talking. Thanks for the help everyone!
-chuck
*for your own insanity and a better idea of what i do…hearing is believing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Me-UJH1WcQ

—– Original Message —-
From: Stefan Tiedje
Sent: Sunday, July 6, 2008 5:07:10 AM
Subject: Re: [maxmsp] vocoder challenge

Chubb schrieb:
> below is a link to some mp3 i found, that comes close to what i am
> thinking of attempting.
>
> http://www.shelaq.de/talking_synth/sounds/sample03.mp3

This is not a vocoder sound, I guess its some sort of LPC (Linear
Predictive Coding)… Look for text to speech conversion…

Stefan


Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com


July 6, 2008 | 5:52 pm

Both the csound~ and rtcmix~ objects have LPC capabilities, but the
analysis has to be done prior to the resynthesis.

brad

http://music.columbia.edu/~brad

On Jul 6, 2008, at 12:55 PM, Chubb wrote:

> As Stephan pointed out, what i was looking for is not a vocoder
> sound. So, i must really give kudos to cycling for the vocoder
> sound (which i use). i am always looking to create really insane
> sounding vocal effects, hence the request to create a vocal induced
> LPC (linear predictive codiing). i love computers, but i would
> rather do the talking. Thanks for the help everyone!
> -chuck
> *for your own insanity and a better idea of what i do…hearing is
> believing:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Me-UJH1WcQ
>
> —– Original Message —-
> From: Stefan Tiedje
> Sent: Sunday, July 6, 2008 5:07:10 AM
> Subject: Re: [maxmsp] vocoder challenge
>
> Chubb schrieb:
> > below is a link to some mp3 i found, that comes close to what i am
> > thinking of attempting.
> >
> > http://www.shelaq.de/talking_synth/sounds/sample03.mp3
>
> This is not a vocoder sound, I guess its some sort of LPC (Linear
> Predictive Coding)… Look for text to speech conversion…
>
> Stefan
>
> —
> Stefan Tiedje————x——-
> –_____———–|————–
> –(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
> — _|_)—-|—–()————–
> ———-()——–www.ccmix.com
>
>
>


July 6, 2008 | 7:28 pm

Quote: Mr. Banshee wrote on Sat, 05 July 2008 00:59
—————————————————-
> Looking to build a better sounding vocoder than the one included already in the max/msp bundle (sorry homies, you did a great job, just craving for something "thicker" and more "robotic" sounding…more Beastie Boys "Intergalactic" vibe)
>
> below is a link to some mp3 i found, that comes close to what i am thinking of attempting.
>
> http://www.shelaq.de/talking_synth/sounds/sample03.mp3
>
> Any help will be much apprecited (or should i say pointers, cuz i RTFM every day). Thanks!
> -chuck

—————————————————-

This is not a vocoder. I think its the talking synth from FLAME:

http://flame.fortschritt-musik.de/start.htm

Make sure you check out the sound link!!!

To recreate this kind of sound you need to build some fof synthesis engine using a filterbank. Search the forum for some examples.


July 6, 2008 | 8:35 pm

Sounds like formant synthesis to me – like the ‘lil rubberheaded Mammy’ in
Zappa’s Thingfish!
There was a patch called Copacabana that someone posted here some time ago
that used formant filters to make these sort of cute noises. It’s pretty
much a matter of using a pair (or more) of filters with characteristics that
match the human vocal tract. Googling ‘formant synthesis’ or ‘formant
filters’ should get you started. I have a patch lying around somewhere I
could post (including one used to make sheep noises – don’t ask, it’s a
Welsh thing…;-)
Cheers
roger

On 06/07/2008 20:28, "danny de graan" wrote:

>
>
>
> Quote: Mr. Banshee wrote on Sat, 05 July 2008 00:59
> —————————————————-
>> Looking to build a better sounding vocoder than the one included already in
>> the max/msp bundle (sorry homies, you did a great job, just craving for
>> something "thicker" and more "robotic" sounding…more Beastie Boys
>> "Intergalactic" vibe)
>>
>> below is a link to some mp3 i found, that comes close to what i am thinking
>> of attempting.
>>
>> http://www.shelaq.de/talking_synth/sounds/sample03.mp3
>>
>> Any help will be much apprecited (or should i say pointers, cuz i RTFM every
>> day). Thanks!
>> -chuck
>
> —————————————————-
>
> This is not a vocoder. I think its the talking synth from FLAME:
>
> http://flame.fortschritt-musik.de/start.htm
>
> Make sure you check out the sound link!!!
>
> To recreate this kind of sound you need to build some fof synthesis engine
> using a filterbank. Search the forum for some examples.
> –
> – Danny -


July 6, 2008 | 9:48 pm

Indeed that’s classic fof stuff. I would take a look at the fof
example patch that comes with the latest release of csound~ external.
It was announced here only last week so you should be able to find it
easily. And of course there is the external from IRCAM as well.

Best
Peiman

On 6 Jul 2008, at 21:35, Roger Carruthers wrote:

> Sounds like formant synthesis to me – like the ‘lil rubberheaded
> Mammy’ in
> Zappa’s Thingfish!
> There was a patch called Copacabana that someone posted here some
> time ago
> that used formant filters to make these sort of cute noises. It’s
> pretty
> much a matter of using a pair (or more) of filters with
> characteristics that
> match the human vocal tract. Googling ‘formant synthesis’ or ‘formant
> filters’ should get you started. I have a patch lying around
> somewhere I
> could post (including one used to make sheep noises – don’t ask,
> it’s a
> Welsh thing…;-)
> Cheers
> roger
>
>
> On 06/07/2008 20:28, "danny de graan" wrote:
>
>>
>>
>>
>> Quote: Mr. Banshee wrote on Sat, 05 July 2008 00:59
>> —————————————————-
>>> Looking to build a better sounding vocoder than the one included
>>> already in
>>> the max/msp bundle (sorry homies, you did a great job, just
>>> craving for
>>> something "thicker" and more "robotic" sounding…more Beastie Boys
>>> "Intergalactic" vibe)
>>>
>>> below is a link to some mp3 i found, that comes close to what i
>>> am thinking
>>> of attempting.
>>>
>>> http://www.shelaq.de/talking_synth/sounds/sample03.mp3
>>>
>>> Any help will be much apprecited (or should i say pointers, cuz i
>>> RTFM every
>>> day). Thanks!
>>> -chuck
>>
>> —————————————————-
>>
>> This is not a vocoder. I think its the talking synth from FLAME:
>>
>> http://flame.fortschritt-musik.de/start.htm
>>
>> Make sure you check out the sound link!!!
>>
>> To recreate this kind of sound you need to build some fof
>> synthesis engine
>> using a filterbank. Search the forum for some examples.
>> –
>> – Danny -
>
>


May 10, 2009 | 4:36 am
peimankhosravi@gmail.com wrote on Sun, 06 July 2008 15:48
Indeed that’s classic fof stuff. I would take a look at the fof
example patch that comes with the latest release of csound~ external.
It was announced here only last week so you should be able to find it
easily. And of course there is the external from IRCAM as well.

Best
Peiman

On 6 Jul 2008, at 21:35, Roger Carruthers wrote:

> Sounds like formant synthesis to me – like the ‘lil rubberheaded
> Mammy’ in
> Zappa’s Thingfish!
> There was a patch called Copacabana that someone posted here some
> time ago
> that used formant filters to make these sort of cute noises. It’s
> pretty
> much a matter of using a pair (or more) of filters with
> characteristics that
> match the human vocal tract. Googling ‘formant synthesis’ or ‘formant
> filters’ should get you started. I have a patch lying around
> somewhere I
> could post (including one used to make sheep noises – don’t ask,
> it’s a
> Welsh thing…Wink
> Cheers
> roger
>
>
> On 06/07/2008 20:28, "danny de graan" < info@dannydegraan.nl> wrote:
>
>>
>>
>>
>> Quote: Mr. Banshee wrote on Sat, 05 July 2008 00:59
>> —————————————————-
>>> Looking to build a better sounding vocoder than the one included
>>> already in
>>> the max/msp bundle (sorry homies, you did a great job, just
>>> craving for
>>> something "thicker" and more "robotic" sounding…more Beastie Boys
>>> "Intergalactic" vibe)
>>>
>>> below is a link to some mp3 i found, that comes close to what i
>>> am thinking
>>> of attempting.
>>>
>>>
http://www.shelaq.de/talking_synth/sounds/sample03.mp3
>>>
>>> Any help will be much apprecited (or should i say pointers, cuz i
>>> RTFM every
>>> day). Thanks!
>>> -chuck
>>
>> —————————————————-
>>
>> This is not a vocoder. I think its the talking synth from FLAME:
>>
>> http://flame.fortschritt-musik.de/start.htm
>>
>> Make sure you check out the sound link!!!
>>
>> To recreate this kind of sound you need to build some fof
>> synthesis engine
>> using a filterbank. Search the forum for some examples.
>> –
>> – Danny -
>
>

Cool sounding stuff!

Is this possible with native msp objects?


May 10, 2009 | 7:44 am
marlon brando wrote on Sun, 10 May 2009 06:36
Cool sounding stuff!
Is this possible with native msp objects?

Not that I know… But third party externals are fine, enough flavors to choose from. I’d take something which works on Mac and PC if you want it cross platform…

Stefan


January 24, 2010 | 5:50 pm

Thanks, but I prefer reverse engineering patches build with native objects.
It makes it easier to learn, me thinks


January 24, 2010 | 7:47 pm

this might be of interest:

http://www.music.mcgill.ca/~jordan/coursework/mumt307/speech_synth.html


January 24, 2010 | 8:29 pm

I’d lay my money on this being LPC rather than vocoding, but it would appear that Mr. Garton’s beaten me to it. His rtcmix~ object will do the LPC stuff jes’ fine.


January 25, 2010 | 12:38 am

try [thicker~] or [phat~]
 


Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)