Forums > MaxMSP

Voice transformation

October 6, 2011 | 10:53 am

I am wondering if anyone has got some nice example patches for voice transformation

I am interested both in semi-relistic (which assumably is harder) and "far-out" transformation

All the best

October 6, 2011 | 11:29 am

What kind of transformations do you want? Almost any audio processing (filtering, waveshaping etc.) will transform a voice…
For the far-out, things like ring modulation (think Daleks) are a perennial favourite, and of course delay effects like comb filtering and flanging. Some FFT processes work well on voices too. And then there’s vocoding!
But for the semi-realistic, the best are probably speed/pitch and formant effects. Have a look at Tim Rozendal’s recently posted DiracLE object – it does nice formant munging that will subtly – or not-so subtly – change a voice,
cheers
Roger

October 6, 2011 | 12:32 pm

some ideas – should give you more of an idea as to what patches you might be interested in tracking down – mostly simple patches but I think it sounds lovely and is implemented very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk0LHIleIx0

t
October 6, 2011 | 1:25 pm

grizzle, are patches from Ted Coffey available for download? If yes, could you please share the link?

Cheers

October 6, 2011 | 1:29 pm

Thanks guys

@Roger – Yeah I have tried all sorts of filters and the standard synthesis effects but I was wondering if there are some more specific methods that I dont know about.
Ill take a look at the DiracLE object – havent heard about it before. Thanks :)

@Grizzle – thanks Ill take a look at this when I get home :)

October 6, 2011 | 2:32 pm

For a while now I’ve been getting round to replicating something like this in Max:

http://designingsound.org/2010/05/jim-stout-special-making-monster-voices/

Perhaps monster voices aren’t what you need, but there may be some inspiration in there for possible techniques.

If I come up with anything interesting, I’ll post back.

October 6, 2011 | 4:04 pm

Bummer – the DiracLe object is only for MAC :(

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)