Forums > Jitter

Volume Control – Rock Band Drum Kit

June 10, 2009 | 2:32 am

Hey guys,

I’m relatively new to Max/MSP/Jitter, so I need a bit of help here Smile

I’ve whipped up a patch which uses my Rock Band drumkit to crossfade between a video of someone playing on normal drums and someone playing on Rock Band drums.
My problem is I want to be able to use the pads to cycle through the volume, either using two to go up and down or just one to cycle up until it resets back to no volume. If you get what I mean.

I would like the volume control to be quite smooth, so not really jumping from 1 volume to 10 volume.

Cheers if anyone helps Smile

June 10, 2009 | 11:00 am

hi..

to smooth volumen change you can use line object.. take a look to the help. basically you send a message to a line saying where to start the ramp, where to end and how long it takes in miliseconds.

if you send message (0., 1. 5000) to a [line 0.] object you get get a ramp from 0. to 1. in five seconds

about the pads cycle i dont end of undertsnad what you mean, but you have a [cycle] object that cycle the input to diferent outputs.. it works for bangs, ints etc..

good luck!
o

June 10, 2009 | 4:53 pm

yes, I’d use line so you can smooth out the values and have control over how long it takes to go from one to the next. You have bangs coming in from all the pads, so choose the two you want and send them into [incdec], one tells it to inc, the other says to dec (with inc/dec messages). put this number into a number box. Set the number box that’s holding the output of [incdec] to have a min and max range, like 0 to 10. This range is how "fine" your volume steps will be. Then use [scale] to go from this range to a range from 0. to 1. this will also convert to float, which you need for resolution with [line].

Use that resulting number with [line 0. 50] to go from one volume level to the next, either up or down. So the message would be ($1 1000.) — this would make it go to the next higher/lower value over 1 second. You need the float value 0. to have a floating-point line, and 50 is a 50ms time grain which you can set.

line and scale are useful in so many places….

June 13, 2009 | 9:09 am
seejayjames wrote on Thu, 11 June 2009 05:38
yes, I’d use line so you can smooth out the values and have control over how long it takes to go from one to the next. You have bangs coming in from all the pads, so choose the two you want and send them into [incdec], one tells it to inc, the other says to dec (with inc/dec messages). put this number into a number box. Set the number box that’s holding the output of [incdec] to have a min and max range, like 0 to 10. This range is how "fine" your volume steps will be. Then use [scale] to go from this range to a range from 0. to 1. this will also convert to float, which you need for resolution with [line].

Use that resulting number with [line 0. 50] to go from one volume level to the next, either up or down. So the message would be ($1 1000.) — this would make it go to the next higher/lower value over 1 second. You need the float value 0. to have a floating-point line, and 50 is a 50ms time grain which you can set.

line and scale are useful in so many places….

Hi,

This looks to be exactly what I want to do. Smile
The only problem is I’ve become a little confused.
Is there anyway you could write this up in a step by step form (I’m a complete noob to MaxMspJitter, it’s a wonder I have got anywhere in the first place). Massive respect if you do Smile

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)