Forums > Jitter

VPS 4 movie player performance issue

October 13, 2009 | 8:47 pm

(I put this at the bottom of a similar but related topic and didn’t get a reply. Perhaps I will have better luck here.)

I’ve been really excited by all of the VPS tutorials and was especially happy to have a patch using poly~ for movies to learn from. However, In my tests of the patch I’ve been having a performance issue that I can’t figure out how to fix.

While trying out the patch I’ve been loading a folder of about 15 QT clips (all fairly short, 15 seconds or less) and during the first time that I cycle thru the clips there is a momentary black flash between each one. After I have triggered every clip at least once this problem goes away. I am very confused by this and haven’t the foggiest idea where to begin troubleshooting. Any clues as to what is causing this and how I might fix it would be greatly appreciated.

TIA!

SS

October 13, 2009 | 10:37 pm

Hello,
I agree that this is not ideal. A relatively easy way to combat this problem is to come up with a way that each movie will get triggered briefly after everything is loaded. For the sake of brevity and clarity, I left this logic out of the VPS-4 article/patch. The attached version of vps.mbank includes a little subpatch called "blackremover". You should be able to drop that in place. It could probably be improved on in some fashion, but it works for now.

Andrew B.

October 14, 2009 | 4:33 pm

Thanks Andrew! That seems to solve the problem. Will have to study it closer to understand what is exactly going on there and how it works. Thanks again . . .

SS

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)