Forums > MaxMSP

vst~ and midi

December 13, 2009 | 12:20 am

Hi everyone,

How can i send continuous midi messages to the vst~ object?
I have loaded minimoog V, and apart from the midievent message i can`t figure of anything else.
is there a way to send repeated midi messages in vst~ as if you are playing a midi keyboard?

thanks
George

kjg
December 13, 2009 | 12:53 am

no experience with this, but looking at the help, i guess you would have to use ctlin to get the continuous controllers, and then map them to the parameters of the synth.

it seems midievent is just for midi notes.

December 13, 2009 | 10:04 am

With the midievent message you can send any type of MIDI information to the vst plug-in which will hopefully do something with it. You might want to have a look to the midiformat object to figure out what is the appropriate MIDI raw message which corresponds to a controler (3 bytes, the first one is between 176 and 191, if I remember correctly).

December 13, 2009 | 3:11 pm

George,
What you need to do is construct a midi message that you will send to the [vst~] object. The message will have the following form:
midievent CC_Status_Byte CC_Number CC_Value

For a sustain pedal on message, it would look like this:
midievent 176 64 127

The 176 is the "status byte" and means send a CC message on MIDI channel 1. The status byte value can range from 176 to 191. So, 176 is CC_Status_Byte on channel 1, 177 is CC_Status_Byte on channel 2, etc…

The 64 is the CC_Value for Sustain pedal.

The 127 is the on message, where 0 = off and 127 = on (at least I think that is correct). Someone please correct me if I’m wrong on this.

There was handy chart in the "MIDI Overview" section of the MAX 4.6 Fundamentals PDF found in the old documentation. It may be in the new documentation, but I’ll be damned if I can find anything I need in the new documentation.

Hope this helps you out.
Mitch

December 13, 2009 | 7:59 pm

thanks everyone,

i managed to get midi note messages with midievent work with arturia`s minimoog and other plugins.

however when i try to change the program in minimoog with the message box and the specified number i can`t change.is it that minimoog has a different format for banks and presets?

and something else..how can i change banks?there isn`t anything in the help file for vst~.

George

December 13, 2009 | 8:34 pm

First, the help files are never the final arbiter of what a Max external object does – it merely lists the most common things. The refpage is the final arbiter of that kind of thing. In this case, there’s not a lot more to be of help, however.

The enclosed handydandy debuggerizer patch tells me that there are no parameters for this object whose spelling vaguely resembles something that might be related to bank/preset stuff, and my experience has been that any time the pgmnames message returns a "default," it means you can’t get at preset banks.

I think you might be better served checking the MIDI implementation of the minimoog to see whether there’s some kind of sysex MIDI implementation that the fine folks at Arturia might have built in for bank changing. I don’t think that this is the first plug-in I’ve ever encountered that has this behavior. In fact, I think that all of the Arturia plug-ins I’ve ever tested exhibit this same behavior….

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

December 13, 2009 | 8:39 pm

hey gregory,
forgot to mention that i checked the reference page but found nothing on changing the banks.

the patch you sent me is pretty much what i did with my vsts but had no luck.
i also tried using letters for the program changes..again nothing.

i plugged predator which changes the programs..but now i can`t change banks.

george

December 13, 2009 | 11:49 pm

Unless there’s some sysex stuff that Arturia has added to give you bank access, I don’t think you have access to it in their implementation. The fact that you’re getting the "default" message back suggests that some message is being sent and answered, so it simply may not be possible. That’s too bad.

December 14, 2009 | 10:29 am

"banks" is not even supported by VST itself.

there are a few example of instruments where you an reach the first
program of "bank 2" by "program #33" … but the limit of 128 remains,
at least for VST 2.x.

regarding arturia and some others, it might be that only the GUI is not
working with midi or vst, have you tried if it really does not change the
preset when you send it "2" ?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)