VST parameter compatibility between Max 5 and Max 6

Apr 21, 2012 at 5:15pm

VST parameter compatibility between Max 5 and Max 6

I have been trying to use Max 6 for a few months but finally had to give up and go back to Max 5 as I was getting too many intermittent crashes that are not understood.

I’m very grateful that the patchers are all backward compatible and everything I built with 6.x loads just fine into 5.x

However, I found that when I tried to reload fxp files in Max 5 that had been created with Max 6, the VSTs were not configured. It’s not a huge deal because I was able to just save the VSTs patches themselves and then pull them back in.

But I’m curious as to why that doesn’t work. The VSTs are identical, there aren’t extra (or fewer) parameters in them. So what is Max6 doing when it saves an FXP file that is confusing Max5

Apr 21, 2012 at 6:10pm

Weird. Does it work right the other way? Can you save a .fxp from 5 and have it open in vst~ in 6? If not, we’ll need to look at it.

Vst~ in 6 uses the JUCE VST hosting code, which is how vst~ can load AU plugs on Mac. In other words, it’s an entirely different animal.

-A

Apr 21, 2012 at 8:42pm

I don’t know but I suspect that the JUCE hosting code is what is responsible for many of the crashes that I have experienced with Max 6.

When it breaks (which is quite intermittent), there’s always JUCE in the middle of the stack trace, either VST or GUI references higher up, and always a critical section at the top where it crashes.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.