Wacom tablet and drawing onto jit.lcd

Apr 5, 2009 at 7:08pm

Wacom tablet and drawing onto jit.lcd

Hello

I have posted part of this query on the max/msp forum but the second part of a problem I have i think should be here on the jitter forum. I have only been using jitter for about a year and have done all the tutorials.

I am using a wacom tablet for a number of functions and one of them is that I want a user to draw onto the tablet, I want what they are drawing to be replicated onto a screen. Initially I was using the lcd object and after a bit of tweaking I was able to get this to work, however I have a video playing at the same time and wish the video to stop when the drawing on the wacom tablet starts and for the screen to then flick to what is being drawn on the tablet. I tried the jit;lcd object and this was not successful because the video would stop but the frame image remained on the jit.lcd object and the drawing from the tablet was missing. Once the user has stopped drawing on the tablet I want the movie to start playing again from the pause position. Does anybody have any suggestions on any objects or what would be the best way to perform this function.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I have now been working on this particular issue for over two weeks with little success .. and a killer migraine.

Thanks in advance

Myla

Apr 5, 2009 at 7:19pm

sounds fairly trivial to implement. post a stripped down patch demonstrating your problem and someone should be able to help you find a solution.

Apr 5, 2009 at 11:19pm
Myla wrote on Sun, 05 April 2009 14:08

I am using a wacom tablet for a number of functions and one of them is that I want a user to draw onto the tablet, I want what they are drawing to be replicated onto a screen. Initially I was using the lcd object and after a bit of tweaking I was able to get this to work, however I have a video playing at the same time and wish the video to stop when the drawing on the wacom tablet starts and for the screen to then flick to what is being drawn on the tablet. I tried the jit;lcd object and this was not successful because the video would stop but the frame image remained on the jit.lcd object and the drawing from the tablet was missing. Once the user has stopped drawing on the tablet I want the movie to start playing again from the pause position. Does anybody have any suggestions on any objects or what would be the best way to perform this function.

If you don’t need the drawing and the video to be simultaneously shown, you could have two display objects: one for the movie (in a regular pwindow) and the LCD. When the drawing is active, bring the LCD to the front; when inactive, send it to the back and the movie that was underneath is now on top. Give each object a Scripting Name in their Inspectors and use [thispatcher] for your messages:

script bringtofront lcd_name (or pwindow name)
script sendtoback lcd_name

You can also send hidden 1 or hidden 0 messages to any object dynamically, another possible way to go about this.

For detecting whether the user is drawing, look into [change] for the Wacom position data perhaps. Or [mousestate] will probably work, as I assume the Wacom tablet emulates a mouse (though I haven’t tried it recently). With the data from [mousestate] you can toggle the right display for the current action or non-action.

There’s probably a way to have both going on in one object, but if these two are the same size and exactly on top of each other, you won’t even notice they’re two separate objects.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.