Wait or buy now?

Nov 24, 2007 at 10:24pm

Wait or buy now?

Hello,

I’m an electronic music student @ Bennington College and I’m taking a course in Max/MSP next term (although I’ve been using Pd for a few months). I was going to go ahead and buy the current version of Max/MSP, but after realizing that 5 is comming out I’m not sure if I should. How much will updgrades from 4 – 5 cost? What will the differences be? If I buy the student trial, will it cost me the same to purchase Max 5 afterwards?

Thanks!

#34742
Nov 24, 2007 at 10:34pm

On 24 nov. 07, at 23:24, Jonathan Shaw wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I’m an electronic music student @ Bennington College and I’m taking
> a course in Max/MSP next term (although I’ve been using Pd for a few
> months). I was going to go ahead and buy the current version of Max/
> MSP, but after realizing that 5 is comming out I’m not sure if I
> should. How much will updgrades from 4 – 5 cost? What will the
> differences be? If I buy the student trial, will it cost me the same
> to purchase Max 5 afterwards?

If you purchase Max now, you get a free upgrade:

http://www.cycling74.com/twiki/bin/view/FAQs/Max5Upgrade

ej

#117704
Nov 25, 2007 at 11:38am

I have a possible situation that is likely to arise in the future. I am currently working on a PC but will be also getting a Macintosh at some point in 2008. Can I install the same copy of Max 5 on both machines?

#117705
Nov 26, 2007 at 5:47pm

No, the Windows version will not run on Mac OS. Nor will the Mac version run on Windows. But you download both versions free of charge, it’s the license (and challenge/response) that you pay for.

Cycling ’74 has in the past been very helpful about providing add’l responses when you upgrade your hardware. But you would have to ask their technical support about changing hardware *and* OS.

#117706

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.