Forums > MaxMSP

Watchout & Max

October 15, 2008 | 4:02 am

Hi all,
Anybody have any experience controlling Watchout using Max? It seems really straight forward…just sending TCP messages…but I’ve been bitten before by these seemingly easy connections! Just trying to get a patch ready for some testing for an upcoming theatre show.

Thanks in advance,
David

P.S. For the curious, Watchout is a PC-based video playback system used in many live shows/installations: http://www.dataton.com/index.php?nav=watchout#/watchout/

October 15, 2008 | 8:01 am

Show-Control@yahoogroups.com is excellent group for this kind of questions.

they probably don’t know max bit, but they surely can tell you
everything you need to know on watchout end :)

klif

October 15, 2008 | 8:43 am

i did. watchout accepts udp packets and you can easily generate those from
max, and vise verse.
consulte the watchout manual. i used it for triggering clips but more
advanced possibilities are there

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 10:01 AM, klif _ wrote:

> Show-Control@yahoogroups.com is excellent group for this kind of
> questions.
>
> they probably don’t know max bit, but they surely can tell you
> everything you need to know on watchout end :)
>
> klif
>

October 15, 2008 | 4:32 pm

Hi Yair,
Thanks for your response. It really does look straightforward to control. Just to make sure, did you have to add any special characters to the message to make it work, or was it just as simple as sending the message e.g. "gotoTime 60000" to mxj.net.udp.send on port 3040?

Best,
David

November 2, 2011 | 8:13 pm

I’m trying to find the carriage return keystroke to end my go command from MAX to Watchout. Any suggestions?

November 2, 2011 | 10:21 pm

I can’t recall. I usually sniff communication between software to detect the valid protocol using wireshark
I know it’s way overkill but it’s easier to copy paste then actually understand :)

Anyways post the relevant part of the patch and link to the manual

November 3, 2011 | 2:52 am

I can’t recall if Watchout takes raw bytes. If so, "13" is ASCII for carriage return.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)