Forums > Jitter

Wave interference spherical pattern

April 21, 2013 | 11:19 am

Hello , i’m in the midle of my thesis project and i’m stuck on a simple problem:

I want to realize a visualization tool in jitter for wave interference of two or more sources in 3D with arbitrary source position.
Basically i want to make something like this:
http://www.falstad.com/wavebox/
I Don’t want to see the temporal evolution of the waves but just the spatial intensity (on the java applet you have to check the "show intensity" toggle).

The math behind this model is very simple , a sum of sinusoidal functions.

I’ve tried to make a patch with jit.expr but the result is very weird.

The author of the applet states that for obtaining the spatial intensity distribution you have to divide the space in small portions (the size of those portions is controlled by the "image resolution" parameter) and then integrate over time to obtain the intensity.

It seems like a particle model to me :) , but it’s true that using jit.p.shiva is too much complicated for a simple problem like this…
Here is my patch:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

April 22, 2013 | 2:15 pm

ok, let’s make it simpler:

how i can generate a 3d matrix of point where each point has the alpha channel controlled by a function of x, y and z?

April 22, 2013 | 2:33 pm

hi
you can set "@blend_enable 1" on jit.gl.mesh ?

April 22, 2013 | 5:50 pm

Hello!
thanks for the response.
I’ve tried to enable blending and the sphere turns transparent! very cool but i think i’m far away from the java applet i posted before.

Doing some random search i’ve found two interesting words : "point cloud" .Can these words be the solution to my problem?

April 23, 2013 | 5:39 am

Good thanks for share this info….

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)