waveform~ feature request

Mar 14, 2009 at 2:17pm

waveform~ feature request

Hello,

I already get around with missing features like zooming commands by building my own waveform helpers and shortcuts stuff, but, in my own humble opinion, the thing that should be already included in the waveform~ object is : a cursor mode, where you can select (and see) a cursor position without losing the display and values of a region / loop already selected, and to which you can send a position value with a message (hard-on garanteed during playback).

It will make waveform~ definitely as helpful as any editing window we can find in audio editors.

Please, please, please, you could do that, c74, do you ?

Best wishes

f.e

Mar 14, 2009 at 5:38pm

Me too!

Mar 14, 2009 at 8:22pm

Have you experimented with LCD for this? Make it not respond to clicks, and use the second output, which just outputs where the mouse is when it’s not clicked. Use that x/y value to define a line to display on the LCD. When you click it’ll pass through to the waveform.

It’s a bit more complex than that if you want it to keep the same selection length, you have to keep track of the selection start and selection end from the waveform, and the display start and end, and scale the LCD values to match the display start/ends.

Mar 14, 2009 at 9:20pm

What’s wrong with the current controllable by message solution? I mean, that way you can really choose which modifiers you want to use.

my 0.02

Mar 16, 2009 at 12:37pm

Another thing I’d like, concerning the waveform, is a possibility of exponential drawing of amplitude whether than just a linear one.
I made experiments with LCD and it looks a lot better, a lot more useful with it.
On the current version, I’ve got a lot of sounds that do not draw anything interesting in the waveform. I can only see the big attacks…
If I’m not clear enough, I can try to explain it better.

It would be very nice to be able to make a link between the waveform color and the amplitude.
Something a bit like that.
http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=63795
My experiments with LCD show it really help to make a selection.

Mar 19, 2009 at 11:08am

@mushoo : i use multislider for this, not pixel accurate but much easier.

But it doesn’t have to stray us from the fact that an embedded cursor mode would be fair request

best wishes

f.e

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.