Forums > MaxMSP

waveform~ in poly~ instance

April 2, 2010 | 4:10 pm

my poly~ patcher contains a buffer~, record~, and waveform~.
I am using thispoly~ to get the poly instance and name my buffer~, record into my buffer~ and display my buffer~ (using waveform~)

i can name my buffer~ so that each buffer in each poly~ instance has has its unique name using:
thispoly~ –> sprintf (set MF%ld)
so that the buffer~ in instance 1 is called MF1, the buffer~ in instance 2 is called MF2 etc.

I can record into the buffer~ using record. and can then double click on the buffer~ or record~ object to view what has been recorded into each specific buffer~

However waveform~, will not display the waveform. i have tried sending it the same message using the same principle as above:
set MF1, set MF2 etc.
and have also tried the message:
set MF1 1, MF2 1.
ie display channel one of buffer~ (they are mono buffers~)
however nothing will display.

Can anyone answer the question?
ive included the folders

Cheers
Paul

Attachments:
  1. MFIO.maxpat

April 2, 2010 | 5:18 pm

Hello Paul,

I do not have any IO connected to my computer so i can’t test it but this should work i guess. If not i’m affraid you’ll have to wait for the Max-gods to respond. :)

FRid

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

April 2, 2010 | 8:03 pm

ye cant see any reason why it wouldnt work either.

the waveform~ for some reason doesnt know to link to the buffer~.

April 2, 2010 | 8:10 pm

Did you copy the updated code into your patch? Because i think it should work now. You forgot to put "name $1" before the waveform therefore it doesn’t understand what information it’s getting from the receive.

FRid

April 2, 2010 | 11:21 pm

weird, it worked the first time a did it, but then stopped working after that. Even weirder considering that according to the manual sending the message ‘name’ followed by a symbol specifies what audiofile the waveform~ should link to rather than which buffer~ it should link to. The message ‘set’, which is what i originally used, followed by a symbol links the waveform to that buffer~.

any ideas? ill keep playing with it

April 2, 2010 | 11:42 pm

You’re right, my bad. :) Indeed it should be "set $1". Just change the "name$1" to "set$1" and you should be alright. It’s weird it worked the first time though…

Frid

April 3, 2010 | 12:09 am

but thats what i had in the first place no? i have
thispoly~ —-> sprintf set MF%ld —–> waveform~

the same message is also going buffer~ and record~. it manages to name, so the message going to those objects works. but when i send the same message to waveform~ it doesnt link to those objects.

i also tried using the attribute namebuffer but didnt work either.

April 3, 2010 | 12:21 am

No, just look at the output of the receive object connected to the waveform, somehow it doesn’t ouput the "set MF1(or whatever)". Instead it just outputs "MF1" Just try connecting it. I go to sleep now…

FRid

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)