Forums > MaxMSP

Waverider EEG help

February 18, 2009 | 1:44 pm

I know that this subject was discussed back in 2004 and 2006 apparent by the archives…. but maybe some new ground has been covered. Does anyone know of this device, and more importantly… have there been successful attempts at getting the signals into MAX. I know that a program called Bioexplorer may act as an intermediary. If not, then are there any other successful biofeedback setups that you already know have been interfaced successfully. cheers

February 19, 2009 | 3:55 am

Quote: beolshika wrote on Wed, 18 February 2009 07:44
—————————————————-
> I know that this subject was discussed back in 2004 and 2006 apparent by the archives…. but maybe some new ground has been covered. Does anyone know of this device, and more importantly… have there been successful attempts at getting the signals into MAX. I know that a program called Bioexplorer may act as an intermediary. If not, then are there any other successful biofeedback setups that you already know have been interfaced successfully. cheers
—————————————————-

Some success with the NIA device, using the NIA Output Reader app as an intermediary. Don’t know about the Waverider’s method of sending data. If it can do tcp/ip you might be able to use net.tcp.recv, or if it can do udp use net.udp.recv. Possibly it has a serial connection, which could nicely bypass this.

This definitely took awhile to get working, with several attempts with other intermediate programs, and it’s not totally there (the patch explains). But it was interesting and shows some promise. The NIA is OK but somewhat crude regarding its data (the "muscle gestures" completely overwhelm any "eeg" readings). Perhaps the Waverider is better with this, and I imagine the Emotiv will also be much more precise.

The best would be a DIY kit with actual scalp electrodes, I imagine, with a nicely-formatted list of values sent every (X) ms to a USB port. Then it’s dirt simple on the Max side and you can use multislider etc. to view and record what happens (and use values to control things, of course). I guess the issue is building the electronics and amplifying the tiny tiny signals relatively cleanly… dangit.

February 20, 2009 | 4:51 pm

The Bioexplorer application you mentioned has some interesting potential. I have used it to process EEG and send the end result to Max as midi code. Bioexplorer has a very flexible set of signal processing objects for physiological signals (filters, thresholding, etc) which can be configured in a visual programming environment similar to Max’s. This allows the basic processing of biological signals to be done outside of Max. Bioexplorer is able to read the Waverider data protocol as well as those from several other widely used clinical EEG front ends.

Bioexplorer also has a server object. This may be a more efficient way to get interconnect the two applications, but I have not tried it yet.

Best regards,
Michael

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)