We upgraded the forum software!

Jul 9, 2013 at 3:23am

Ahh.. thanks. I’ll take a look at that.

Jul 11, 2013 at 7:58am

Hi @tst and @metamax – just wanted to let you know that private messages are still in the plan. It’s taking some time to make sure they’re integrated in the best way, both for the current web software and for future projects.

Jul 11, 2013 at 11:11am

Ben, thanks. I appreciate the update.

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:53am

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but it seems the most relevant place for these:

The forum search button is not visible (just says “Loading” forever) in Firefox 23 OSX if the Ghostery (anti tracking-scipt) plugin is active and blocking the Facebook Connect script. Why does Cycling need to chatter with Facebook just to search the forum?

I haven’t figured out the new RSS behavior. I don’t see any forum RSS links (besides the site-wide C74 RSS in the footer). Do topics still have RSS feeds? How do I subscribe? Perhaps an explanation in the forum guidelines would help. (Apologies if I missed this.)

I don’t see any notification prefs in my account settings (except for the email digest option). When I reply to a post and check the “notifications?” box, there is no explanation of what that means. I realize I can add/remove the notification bell from topics, and see them listed in my profile page, but there’s no explanation of how the forum handles notifications. Perhaps just a little note under relevent UI elements that says “You will receive emails whenever someone replies to this topic” or something like that? (I know from past experience, but new users won’t.)

I’ll also put in my vote for less white space and a more content-focused design. The huge avatars and padding everywhere make for a lot of scrolling and hunting. For example, the one-line reply at the top of this page takes just over 300px of vertical space.

Also, having attachments visible to guests is really important. Otherwise we’re in a walled garden where everybody needs to join the club just to see what we’re talking about. If forum contributors want to circumvent this limitation they need to host their files elsewhere and post links, which often end up broken after a few years. In the long run I think you’re making it hard for people to share their knowledge.

Thanks

Aug 12, 2013 at 4:25am

Hi @zlp,

The facebook JS library is loaded in its own script tag, as is the google library that powers the search. Therefore I wouldn’t imagine aborting one would somehow affect each other, but I don’t know how the Ghostery plugin works. Is it possible that it doesn’t have to do with Facebook, and it’s just because the search is powered by a Google plugin?

There’s an RSS link at the top-right of every individual forum page: http://cl.ly/image/0E3p0y0h3R3M

For individual topics, just add /feed to the end of the URL. For instance this one: http://cycling74.com/forums/topic/we-upgraded-the-forum-software/feed

Thanks for your feedback re: notifications. You’re probably right.

re: having attachments visible to guests, your point is well taken. We want to do what we can to reduce the friction in sharing information.

I’m grateful for all the feedback!

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:18am

hmmmmmmmmmmmm any news ’bout private messaging ? :>

Aug 12, 2013 at 6:51am

Thanks Ben.. love the RSS feed.

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I think it would be great to have an individual thread RSS link next to the notifications check box. Sure, it’s not terribly difficult to copy and paste the thread URL and append “/feed” and then open an RSS client and paste the address, etc.. but if there was a one click option I think a lot more people would use it.. and it wouldn’t be difficult at all to implement.

Thanks again

Aug 12, 2013 at 11:40am

Ben
Thanks for the RSS info. (I overlooked the RSS feeds for the main forums.) It would be nice if the RSS link stayed around when I viewed a topic, pointing to that topic’s feed.

Regarding the search. My mistake. Yesterday I enabled/disabled each script separately but must have recorded the results wrong. Sorry for the false alarm. The Google AJAX Search API is indeed the script that needs to be enabled. I white-listed it so now I can search. (sceenshots attached)

Thanks for your efforts!

Attachments:
  1. search-blocked
  2. search-allowed
Aug 12, 2013 at 11:55am

I would to see the search function improved so that it respected the tilde. E.g. if you searched for counter~ it should not return results for counter, or at least return them after counter~

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:08pm

@Chris Muir – thanks for pointing out that problem with the tilde. I hoped that enclosing counter~ in quotes would solve the problem, but it doesn’t. The tilde used to be an operator that could be used in a google search to indicate that synonyms in results were okay. I wonder if that’s the reason why it’s ignored? Goog recently deprecated it, FWIW. But this is a pretty big gap in our search that I wasn’t aware of.

@zlp and @metamx – requests for RSS links noted. My bias is against encouraging RSS use because it’s a technology on the decline — ~50% down since 2008. (ref: http://blogs.forrester.com/reineke_reitsma/13-03-15-the_data_digest_usage_of_rss_feeds)

@vichug no news, which is not good news I know. thanks for your patience.

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:11pm

BTW, any plans on restoring the ‘advanced search’ possibility? I simply don’t use the forum search since the forum upgrades, as without an option to search only in specific forums, the results are more or less useless… :-(

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:30pm

regarding RSS usage: I don’t really get your logic. Why accelerate a decline just because the decline exists? Isn’t it less server load to publish a feed rather than send thousands of emails all day? (Nice to have both options – I’m certainly not knocking the email notifications)

I use RSS to aggregate content from tons of websites so I don’t need to visit each of them daily. I suspect the lack of RSS adoption is because it’s hard to monetize & thus not promoted. (Thanks google)

Here’s an uninformed search suggestion out of left field: Since the site is running WordPress, there are amazing search plugins like Relevanssi that have custom highlighting, fine-grained options and support for sorting & filtering results based on custom post types, etc. Not sure if it’s applicable in this context, but I’ve used it (in a much more simple context) and it rocks.

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:38pm

Yeah, I tried “counter~” before I posted, to no avail.

What’s the status of “Recently Replied-To Forum Topics” beyond the first page of them? I still get a “The page you are looking for is not here :(” error, starting with page 2.

As far as RSS use declining goes, lots of things are in decline. Computer use is declining, should we abandon them? RSS is the only thing that allows me to keep with as many sites as I do.

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:59pm

@$adam we’re looking into options.

@zlp it’s not about server load, it’s more about the maintenance and troubleshooting. I’ll respectfully disagree with your guess about lack of promotion being the cause of RSS decline. I think it’s because of the rise of social media.

We’ll check out Relevanssi – thanks for the recommendation!

Aug 12, 2013 at 1:46pm

I don’t see RSS and social media playing in the same field, other than they are both things you might find on the internet. They don’t solve the same problem.

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:02pm

Interesting about the decline of RSS. I don’t understand why.

Also.. just a heads up. I subscribed to the feed for this thread but received no feed of the activity since my last message. I did however get email notifications…

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:06pm

@chris I just tried on your profile page, and I was able to get to page 2 successfully. Want to try it again, and if it’s still not working send us the link that fails? (It could be that Ginger has fixed it just now.)

re: RSS, I understand, you’re not alone. Lots of people love RSS.

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:14pm

I still have a problem w/ pages >1 on the “Recently Replied-To Forum Topics”

http://cycling74.com/forums/users/cbmwellcom/topics/topics/page/2/

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:18pm

Hi Chris,

Looks like that URL is adding a second “/topics” path. May I ask where you are accessing this URL?

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:44pm

From my profile page that I get when I click on my name in the top bar. http://cycling74.com/forums/users/cbmwellcom/topics/

On that page, there’s a list of “Recently Replied-To Forum Topics.” At the bottom of that list are links to other pages of “Recently Replied-To Forum Topics.” These links all seem to have the spurious “topics/”.

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:52pm

A ha. Got it. Thanks for pointing me to that direction. That link should be fixed now, and the pagination should work.

Aug 12, 2013 at 4:31pm

All is ok.

Can be an option to erase the message ?

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:59pm

I just reported a comment as spam and an alert popped up asking me “Are you sure this is spam?” with the options of Cancel or OK. It looks like you want to switch this to Yes/No or slightly rephrase the question.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.