Forums > MaxMSP

Welcome to Max 6 and Gen

October 27, 2011 | 4:33 am

We are pleased, proud, and super excited to finally share with you the official release of Max 6 and Gen. Max 6 represents years of work, and a dedication to making Max better for everyone, both new and experienced users. With improvements to overall usability, audio quality, new 3D graphics and animation features, the new dictionary data-type, Javascript overhaul, 3D physics, and project management tools, Max 6 has plenty to offer to even the most demanding Max users.

Gen represents a whole new technology for Cycling ’74, with the capability to generate efficient and powerful code using a familiar visual programming interface. I hope you are all as excited as we are to see what happens.

October 27, 2011 | 4:43 am

I am wondering if you guys could expand on what "gen" is? Its unclear as to what specifically it does and how it will "…generate efficient and powerful code".

It would be great if you could do a Did You Know video covering it.

October 27, 2011 | 5:21 am

Suweeeet! Just put in my order. (even for software download: "you will receive an email with your serial number and authorization instructions within one business day"…. damn! can’t wait! probably should’ve gone with the physical CD anyways in that case. next time :D )

MBM
October 27, 2011 | 9:16 pm

I had installed the beta. Do I must uninstall it before install the new version?

Thanks and best regards.

October 27, 2011 | 9:55 pm

@spectre:

Thanks for the thread posting. That explains a lot! Max 6 w/ gen here I come!

October 27, 2011 | 10:17 pm

Does Max6 work with Max4Live?

Also, what is the upgrade price from Max5?

October 27, 2011 | 10:37 pm

@MBM No need to do anything other than download and install again.

@Anthony
http://cycling74.com/support/faq_upgrading6/: Max 6 is an upgrade of the full version of Max. There is no upgrade available for owners of Max for Live only. If you own Max 6, you can use it within Live. If you are a Max for Live user, we invite you to try the Max 6 demo for 30 days. There is a Max 6 Crossgrade for owners of Max for Live available.

If you want to use Max 6 with Live, or try a device created in Max 6 that uses new Max 6 features or contains Gen objects, you’ll need to install Max 6 and switch your Max application folder in Live’s preferences. To do so, in Live, go to the Live Menu > Preferences > File Folder tab on Mac or the Options Menu > Preferences > File Folder tab on Windows. Under ‘Max Application’, click the Browse button and navigate to the Max 6 folder on your computer.

upgrade options and prices: http://cycling74.com/shop/upgrades/

Best,
Lilli

MBM
October 28, 2011 | 12:00 am

Thank you very much.

Best.

October 28, 2011 | 1:15 am

I’m so excited! I saw the email about Max 6 and Gen in my inbox and lo and behold, this is exactly what I was missing from Max 5. Bump up the usability from "study the patches, add monitoring patchcords and copy/paste" to what is virtually autocomplete from any decent Visual/Xcode IDE and you’ve a brilliant environment to work in. Especially compared to the mess that is now Quartz Composer. (R.I.P.)

I can’t wait for the day when I can use Gen in other applications, as was hinted at previously in the forums. And even the JavaScript sped up, which perhaps helps fix my earlier Java-runs-slow-as-a-dog-in-Max-and-JS-wasn’t-any-better complaints.

I suspect the only way you guys could top it is if there were native Internet objects or command-line-executing ones. I haven’t run Max in 2 years or so, it’ll be nice to explore for myself! In fact I’d say the only way to improve Max from here would be some kind of HTML5 version of Max as a runtime, so you can share control panels over the Internet (iPads?) or provide simpler control interfaces and knobs without OSC. That said, I can see a couple ways it could be done perhaps, just not as visually. And, short of streaming audio/video etc., I’m not sure how I’d serve a Max patch remotely in its full glory. Especially given the crud WebGL support is today.

Great job, you’ve definitely got me looking at Max differently again. Now let’s get that SDK stabilized and release the inevitable point updates! ;-)

One more thing – By any chance was any special attention paid to the new Lion SDKs and features? I’d love to be able to create a library of patches and projects in iCloud… I suppose I could use Dropbox or a clone until then…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)