What happened to text macros?

Apr 23, 2008 at 6:26am

What happened to text macros?

New object
Type “_”
Hit ESC

That used to turn into “prepend set”. Doesn’t work anymore. Although I still see the max-shortcuts.txt file in the init folder, the Max 5 help search doesn’t turn up anything about this feature. Is it gone or just temporarily on vacation? I liked that feature but maybe autocomplete makes it somewhat obsolete.

#37084
Apr 23, 2008 at 6:46am

On Apr 22, 2008, at 11:26 PM, Adam Murray wrote:
> That used to turn into “prepend set”.

If you are trying to set a message box, have you noticed the right
inlet?

Chris Muir
cbm@well.com

http://www.xfade.com

#127686
Apr 23, 2008 at 7:04am

On 23 avr. 08, at 08:26, Adam Murray wrote:

> New object
> Type “_”
> Hit ESC
>
> That used to turn into “prepend set”. Doesn’t work anymore. Although
> I still see the max-shortcuts.txt file in the init folder, the Max 5
> help search doesn’t turn up anything about this feature. Is it gone
> or just temporarily on vacation? I liked that feature but maybe
> autocomplete makes it somewhat obsolete.

The old “shortcuts” feature have been dropped in Max 5, in favor a way
more efficient auto completion mechanism.

ej

#127687
Apr 23, 2008 at 7:07am

Quote: Chris Muir wrote on Tue, 22 April 2008 23:46
—————————————————-
>
> On Apr 22, 2008, at 11:26 PM, Adam Murray wrote:
> > That used to turn into “prepend set”.
>
>
> If you are trying to set a message box, have you noticed the right
> inlet?

Yeah, and that’s awesome.

But I was just using “prepend set” as an example since it was a default macro. I had grown really fond of typing “ruby”+ESC instead of “mxj ajm.ruby”

#127688
Apr 23, 2008 at 7:09am

Quote: Emmanuel Jourdan wrote on Wed, 23 April 2008 00:04
—————————————————-
> The old “shortcuts” feature have been dropped in Max 5, in favor a way
> more efficient auto completion mechanism.
>

Ok, so any suggestions on my best bet to minimize typing when I use a lot of mxj objects? Paste From? Or can I add it to the palette somehow?

What would be really awesome is if we can define our own object key shortcuts, like how ‘b’ creates a bang. I already LOVE that feature :)

#127689
Apr 23, 2008 at 10:00am

#127690
Apr 23, 2008 at 4:12pm

#127691
Apr 23, 2008 at 5:55pm

On 2008 Apr 23, at 11:12 AM, Adam Murray wrote:
>
> Quote: Emmanuel Jourdan wrote on Wed, 23 April 2008 03:00
> —————————————————-
>> On 23 avr. 08, at 09:09, Adam Murray wrote:
>>
>>> What would be really awesome is if we can define our own object key
>>> shortcuts, like how ‘b’ creates a bang. I already LOVE that
>>> feature :)
>>
>> Guess what
> You can do it ;-) Have a look to max-keycommands.txt in
>> the C74:/init folder.
>
> If I try something like this:
> max definecommand t patcher insertobj print;
>
> It turns into a “juibogus” object (print) instead of a real print.
> Similar issues with my own objects.

Try this one to make a really big print object when pressing Shift-P:
max definecommand P patcher insertobj “@maxclass newobj @text print
@fontsize 24″;

Note the case sensitivity. Shift-P is different from a regular p.

best,
Tim
____________________________________
Tap.Tools – Objects for Max, MSP, and Jitter

http://electrotap.com/taptoolsmax/

#127692
Apr 24, 2008 at 3:04am

Quote: Timothy Place wrote on Wed, 23 April 2008 10:55
—————————————————-
> Try this one to make a really big print object when pressing Shift-P:
> max definecommand P patcher insertobj “@maxclass newobj @text print
> @fontsize 24″;

Excellent, thanks Tim! Using capital letters seems pretty smart in case C74 adds more shortcuts later, and to stay out of the Max Toolbox’s way.

I struggled a bit getting my mxj shortcut to work:

max definecommand R patcher insertobj “@maxclass newobj @text mxj ajm.ruby”;

creates an empty object.

max definecommand S patcher insertobj “@maxclass mxj @text ajm.ruby”;

Loads mxj classes in the Max window but I end up with a juibogus (mxj) object and the Max window says:
Could not load class ‘$S 6 ‘
mxj: mxj: no such object

After more tinkering I got it to work like this:

max definecommand T patcher insertobj “@maxclass newobj @text “mxj ajm.ruby”";

That seems weird because attributes in Max objects normally allow spaces and just go up to the next attribute. But whatever, this is a different syntax obviously. I got it working and I’m very happy with this shortcut scheme.

Adios text macros.

#127693
Apr 24, 2008 at 12:38pm

I’m glad it worked. I’ll warn you though — the next Tap.Tools beta
already makes use of the T shortcut!

:-)
Tim

On 2008 Apr 23, at 10:04 PM, Adam Murray wrote:
>
> Quote: Timothy Place wrote on Wed, 23 April 2008 10:55
> —————————————————-
>> Try this one to make a really big print object when pressing Shift-P:
>> max definecommand P patcher insertobj “@maxclass newobj @text print
>> @fontsize 24″;
>
> Excellent, thanks Tim! Using capital letters seems pretty smart in
> case C74 adds more shortcuts later, and to stay out of the Max
> Toolbox’s way.
>
> I struggled a bit getting my mxj shortcut to work:
>
> max definecommand R patcher insertobj “@maxclass newobj @text mxj
> ajm.ruby”;
>
> creates an empty object.
>
>
> max definecommand S patcher insertobj “@maxclass mxj @text
> ajm.ruby”;
>
> Loads mxj classes in the Max window but I end up with a juibogus
> (mxj) object and the Max window says:
> Could not load class ‘$S 6 ‘
> mxj: mxj: no such object
>
>
> After more tinkering I got it to work like this:
>
> max definecommand T patcher insertobj “@maxclass newobj @text
> “mxj ajm.ruby”";
>
> That seems weird because attributes in Max objects normally allow
> spaces and just go up to the next attribute. But whatever, this is a
> different syntax obviously. I got it working and I’m very happy with
> this shortcut scheme.
>
> Adios text macros.
>
>
> –
> Adam Murray
> compusition.com

#127694
Apr 24, 2008 at 11:31pm

We have made improvements to how these macros are defined. The version 5.0.1 release (will be available very soon) allows you to use the same syntax as typing object boxes.

This means that the shortcut you figured out:

> After more tinkering I got it to work like this:
>
> max definecommand T patcher insertobj “@maxclass newobj @text
> “mxj ajm.ruby”";

will break.

For 5.0.1 you can change it to the much simpler:

max definecommand T patcher insertobj mxj ajm.ruby;

Sorry for the temporary inconvenience. In the long run it will save much more trouble though. :)

Rob

#127695
Apr 25, 2008 at 12:46am

Quote: Rob Sussman wrote on Thu, 24 April 2008 16:31
—————————————————-
> This means that the shortcut you figured out will break.
>
> For 5.0.1 you can change it to the much simpler:
>
> max definecommand T patcher insertobj mxj ajm.ruby;
>
> Sorry for the temporary inconvenience. In the long run it will save much more trouble though. :)

Noted. Thanks for the heads up. I prefer less trouble in the long run.

#127696
Apr 25, 2008 at 7:15am

Timothy Place schrieb:
> I’m glad it worked. I’ll warn you though — the next Tap.Tools beta
> already makes use of the T shortcut!

But now we can get rid off it as well… ;-)

Stefan


Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

#127697
Apr 29, 2008 at 7:40pm

Hi !

Little things about the print object and the completion & shortcuts:

I can’t have the print object completed automatically. It is just not in the list ! (not the object list, the completion list) Why ? Is it possible to edit manually this list ? In which file is it ?

When I remplace the keycommand p to create a print object with this line in the max-keycommands :

max definecommand p patcher insertobj print;

it is working but, little detail, the object box is then not adapted to the size of print as it is when typing the print word myself. Is this normal ?

The shortcuts as in Max 4.6.3 are not available any more. Ok, there are plenty of new methods to patch as easy (even easier)… But why is the max-shortcut.txt still there in init folder ? Is it still useful for something ? I’m just curious to know !

Cheers

#127698
Apr 29, 2008 at 8:54pm

On 29 avr. 08, at 21:40, BenCello wrote:

> When I remplace the keycommand p to create a print object with this
> line in the max-keycommands :
>
> max definecommand p patcher insertobj print;
>
> it is working but, little detail, the object box is then not adapted
> to the size of print as it is when typing the print word myself. Is
> this normal ?

Try this one (requires 5.0.1):

max definecommand P patcher inserttextobj print;

> The shortcuts as in Max 4.6.3 are not available any more. Ok, there
> are plenty of new methods to patch as easy (even easier)… But why
> is the max-shortcut.txt still there in init folder ? Is it still
> useful for something ? I’m just curious to know !

Right. It shouldn’t be there. And will disappear in the next
incremental.

ej

#127699
Apr 29, 2008 at 11:59pm

Thanks Emmanuel
It’s working as I wanted to with :

max defincommand p patcher inserttextobj print;

And ok for the max-shortcut.txt (hope it helps a bit !).

No clue about the completion list ?

Cheers

#127700
May 1, 2008 at 2:56pm

Hiya

No loadbang either (as well as print) in the object-auto-completion list.

Is this only on my computer (MacBook, OSX.5.2, Max 5.0.1) or does someone has the same issue ?

Cheers

#127701
May 1, 2008 at 6:09pm

On May 1, 2008, at 7:56 AM, BenCello wrote:
> No loadbang either (as well as print) in the object-auto-completion
> list.

They’re both on my list.

Chris Muir
cbm@well.com

http://www.xfade.com

#127702
May 2, 2008 at 8:58am

Quote: Chris Muir wrote on Thu, 01 May 2008 19:09
—————————————————-
>
> On May 1, 2008, at 7:56 AM, BenCello wrote:
> > No loadbang either (as well as print) in the object-auto-completion
> > list.
>
>
> They’re both on my list.

Oh! then I have a problem here… Can’t have print or loadbang automatically completed while typing “pr…” or “loa…”
I don’t know where this completion list is or even if we can edit it.

Do someone have the same issue or any solution ?

Cheers

#127703
May 2, 2008 at 11:00am

#127704
May 2, 2008 at 4:43pm

On May 2, 2008, at 1:58 AM, BenCello wrote:
> Do someone have the same issue or any solution ?

You can try rebuilding your database. I’m not sure it will help, but
it won’t do any harm either.

To do this, create a message box, and put this in it:
;max db.reset

Now, send this message by clicking on it, while not in edit mode. Max
will then rescan your disk.

-C

Chris Muir
cbm@well.com

http://www.xfade.com

#127705
May 10, 2008 at 7:25pm

Quote: Chris Muir wrote on Fri, 02 May 2008 17:43
—————————————————-
>
> On May 2, 2008, at 1:58 AM, BenCello wrote:
> > Do someone have the same issue or any solution ?
>
>
> You can try rebuilding your database. I’m not sure it will help, but
> it won’t do any harm either.
>
> To do this, create a message box, and put this in it:
> ;max db.reset
>
> Now, send this message by clicking on it, while not in edit mode. Max
> will then rescan your disk.
>
> -C
>
> Chris Muir
> cbm@well.com
> http://www.xfade.com
>
—————————————————-

Thank’s a lot Chris, after a clean install with the 5.0.2 I had still the same issue.
But rebuilding the db fixed it!

Can we have access to this db somehow? I looked almost in every file in the Cycling74 folder but haven’t found it… is it hidden somewhere? What kind of db is it?

Now the problem is fixed, these questions are only to satisfy my curiosity…

Cheers

#127706
May 11, 2008 at 1:48am

On May 10, 2008, at 12:25 PM, BenCello wrote:
> Can we have access to this db somehow? I looked almost in every file
> in the Cycling74 folder but haven’t found it… is it hidden
> somewhere? What kind of db is it?

It’s “hidden” in the Max prefs folder, which on the Mac is:
~user/Library/Preferences/Max 5 Preferences Folder

As far as I know it is for Cycling use only, for now. I think more
access is planed.

-C

Chris Muir
cbm@well.com

http://www.xfade.com

#127707
May 11, 2008 at 11:27am

Thank’s again !

I’ll wait a bit before messing around ;o)

Cheers

#127708

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.