Forums > MaxMSP

What is wrong with this? Want function to go back to 0

March 31, 2010 | 7:35 pm

Okay, here is a sample patch that a Max genius (who you have all heard of) put together for me in about 10 seconds. (please read down)

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

notice that when you click the toggle button, the function graph always starts and ends at 0 (thus avoiding pops/clicks due to overlap.

I essentially copied it directly into another patch, changed random to drunk, and changed the "/" number to related to the metronome speed (which is variable).

So WHY ON EARTH isn’t my version going back to zero? Here is the code copied from my patch:

Ch
March 31, 2010 | 11:27 pm

Hi,

So WHY ON EARTH isn’t my version going back to zero?

It does.

put a print out of your messages [$1 0.] and you will see some messages like that :

print: 82899. 0.

So if you set the "hi domain display value (X-axis)" of your functions to something like 100000., you’ll see it is actually going down to zero… :)

April 1, 2010 | 4:22 am

Hmm..you’re right. But then why is it still clicking when it plays? How would I go about changing it to, say, lop off the first 20 milliseconds on both ends? I’m sorry to be a pest but this piece of the patch is beyond my understanding…

April 1, 2010 | 6:03 pm

it probably makes clicks if you trigger your function too early.

April 2, 2010 | 8:10 am

it has something to do with the fact that my patch uses DRUNK instead of RANDOM. Can anyone tell me why that would be? Literally if i change absolutely nothing but swap drunk and random for one another it only works for random. Can anyone suggest proper range / step sizes for me to go with on drunk to make it so it never clips like that?

Ch
April 2, 2010 | 6:47 pm

as the range of your [drunk] is 1000, you should first try to divide its output by 1000. and not by 570. Does that solve the issue?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)