What OSX /w MaxMSP 4.5.7

Aug 13, 2006 at 12:32am

What OSX /w MaxMSP 4.5.7

10.4.?

I am currently running OSX 10.4.4 on my 1.5Ghz 12″ PowerbookG4. I didn’t consider updating my OS or my software during the last school sememster because I had a reliable system and didn’t want it to be put into jeopordy because of an update. Now as I get ready for the next school year, I am looking for some advice for which version of OSX would give me better performance and stability for MAX/MSP.

My primary work enviornment involves Digital Performer 4.61, MAX/MSP 4.5.7, Peak 4 (perhaps soon to be replaced by another waveform editor), Tassman 4. On the hardware end, I use MOTU 828mkII, Radium49, and an older steinberg 2×2 UBS-MIDI that I use a generic driver for.

Does anyone have any info they could share on if they noticed improvements or added problems with the software and hardware I mentioned when upgrading to 10.4.5,6,7?

I am considering the 10.4.7 because of the improved audio with Quicktime, Final Cut Pro, and Soundtrack Pro—especially since I use Final Cut Expresss HD and might try out the copy of Soundtrack that came along with it.

Aug 13, 2006 at 10:02am

Hi,
I dont know if this message would be helpful to you. I am using Powerbook G4 15” 1.25GHz 1GB. I am using 10.4.7. My hardware and softwares are similar to you. I am using DP5.1 (Recently upgraded because DP4 didnt work under Tiger), MAX/MSP 4.5 (which I recently upgraded from 4.3 and it was working fine with 10.4.7 too), Peak4 ,Final Cut Express, Soundhack,PD,Reason,Reaktor 4 etc. with MOTU 828 II. There seems to be no problems. I am using MAX/MSP,Peak and DP more than. I hope this would help.You might want to upgrade your Motu drivers ,but I am sure you know that.
I understand why you are affraid upgrading. I had trouble upgrading my system from Panther to Tiger.
Good Luck
jj

Aug 13, 2006 at 10:04am

On 13 Aug 2006, at 02:32, Roth Michaels wrote:

> Does anyone have any info they could share on if they noticed
> improvements or added problems with the software and hardware I
> mentioned when upgrading to 10.4.5,6,7?

There was a problem with one of the incremental updates (10.4.6 I
think) – some dynamic library wasn’t updated. If you use the combo
10.4.7 update everything should be fine; we’ve got four machines here
on 10.4.7 which run Max/MSP quite happily.

– N.

nick rothwell — composition, systems, performance — http://
http://www.cassiel.com

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.