Forums > MaxMSP

What would i do without [defer]..hm.

February 7, 2012 | 5:40 pm

Hi everybody.
Always if there is something i try to do in max, and sit there for half an hour, trying to wrap my head around it, thinking ‘but this really should work’.. there it is! stick a defer object somewhere in there and everything is working correctly. This is specially true for recursive code (it seems to me). I am more or less aware of what defer and deferlow are doing~
But,
Is there a defer, deferlow tutorial out there (i know there was something around..)? More concrete question: What kind of code-structures won’t work without them?

edit: most concrete question: How do i get myself out of "try and error mode" using Defer and deferlow?

February 7, 2012 | 7:08 pm

This article may be helpful

http://cycling74.com/2004/09/09/event-priority-in-max-scheduler-vs-queue/

February 7, 2012 | 9:43 pm

excellent link broc! in most cases you intuitively know if your problem is priority-related i think. as time went by i found myself less and less in "try and error mode" with it. fortunately max is so "try and error"-friendly.

February 7, 2012 | 9:49 pm

Yes, thank you Broc, very useful link.

February 7, 2012 | 10:39 pm

thanks! that was what i ment.. i remeber myself finding this doc and saying to myself i gotta remember that one.. :)
@11olsen, Yeah try and error mode is getting less by the time, but good docs are .. good to have!
Thanks again!

February 8, 2012 | 12:42 am

the main thing what wont work without defer is when you want to send lots of data, say like initialisation processes, the uzi helpfile is also a good example, i.e. you need the low priority thread in order to prevent stack overflow madness.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)