Where do i find..

Jul 14, 2008 at 1:22am

Where do i find..

hey all, im new to max and have been making my way through the tutorials which btw are fantastic, currently about half way through the max tutorials. but im looking for a good drum sequencer which i can have a good play around with. most things ive found in the resource guide have been programmed for apple macs, but im on windows.

thanks in advance

Jul 14, 2008 at 6:29pm

I would suggest something like this for a readily-available example of drum sequencing within the distribution of Max5 itself:
Max5/examples/legacy-examples/modsquad-history/modsquad-seq.maxpat

If you’re using Max4.6 it would probably be located here instead:
Max4.6/examples/sequencing-looping/modsquad

If you do have Max5, you could look at this Jitter way of doing things:
Max5/examples/jitter-examples/audio/jit.sampler-exampler.maxpat

to use that jitter example without jitter you could simply take the “infinite-step-sequencer” portion of the patch and apply it to the groove~ object.

If you don’t have Max5 and feel ModSquad is not right for you, I’d start with the groove~ object no matter what(you could also look at sfplay~ and play~) and just figure out how to save start/end-points of loops into a preset object or system of pattr objects and then sequence those presets timed to a transport object(or in max4.6 simply using some kind of clock like metro or even phasor~ if you want signal-rate-accuracy).

Jul 15, 2008 at 2:11am

here’ some examples from an old thread of how you might want to design a drum sequencer:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

If you look for Chris Muir, his website has two clear and simple methods of creating a drum sequencer (one as a pulse sequencer, one as a step sequencer).

a drum sequencer is just bangs triggering samples (unless you want it to be sample accurate, which I have yet to look into, though that is what the modsquad/jitter examples mentioned previously make use of – in cases where you are triggering samples rather than slicing them, i find Max timing to be adequate, esp. with overdrive enabled). so, try to think of how you can use groove~/play~/poke~ in combination with a bang as to trigger a sound.

try starting with something simple, then get more imaginative in the ways you can manipulate the rhythms. here’s an example of a rhythm generator i built yesterday, with Adam Murray’s ajm.rseq as the centerpiece (NOTE – Peter Elsea’s Lobjects and Ada Murray’s AJM objects are needed to run this):

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Jul 18, 2008 at 6:58pm

hey thanks alot for your replies, this is exactly the kind of thing i was looking for, understanding the whole thing much better now.

however i have another random question: is it possible to run a max patcher which would not appear on the windows taskbar, running in the background?

thanks again!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.