where's the matrixctrl documentation?

Dec 6, 2007 at 4:54pm

where's the matrixctrl documentation?

I could really use some good explanation of matrixctrl. It isn’t in the Max45ReferenceManual (although it is referred-to repeatedly). I am gradually figuring it out, but it sure would be nice to just have some documentation instead of a black box. I see in some threads you can send in arguments like getrow and getcol – again, no doc to be found. Am I looking in the wrong place (Documentation folder of my MaxMSP 4.6 install)?

Also, I saw somewhere something mentioned on some thread about an object called lrow that converts 8 binary values to a 0-255 bitmask value like what you send to an LED grid driver… I can’t find anything about this either. Maybe I made it up.

Dec 6, 2007 at 5:10pm

Oh, I found it by searching for the term in the pdf reference manual.

For anyone else who is looking for this, it begins on page 306 of Max45ReferenceManual.pdf, after “match”.

It’s just not in the index for some reason.

Dec 6, 2007 at 5:16pm

…or if you download the new version of the doc from cycling74 Documentation section it has been added to the index.

Dec 6, 2007 at 6:31pm

At 11:54 AM -0500 12/6/07, phineus wrote:
>I could really use some good explanation of matrixctrl. It isn’t in the Max45ReferenceManual (although it is referred-to repeatedly).

It’s on page 306 of Max46ReferenceManual.pdf. Maybe you upgraded from 4.5 to 4.6, and didn’t download the documentation?

-C

Chris Muir | “There are many futures and only one status quo.
cbm@well.com | This is why conservatives mostly agree,
http://www.xfade.com | and radicals always argue.” – Brian Eno

Dec 6, 2007 at 6:33pm

If you come by the lrow object please let us know
might come in handy

best

pieter

On 06 Dec 2007, at 17:54, phineus wrote:

>
> I could really use some good explanation of matrixctrl. It isn’t in
> the Max45ReferenceManual (although it is referred-to repeatedly). I
> am gradually figuring it out, but it sure would be nice to just have
> some documentation instead of a black box. I see in some threads
> you can send in arguments like getrow and getcol – again, no doc to
> be found. Am I looking in the wrong place (Documentation folder of
> my MaxMSP 4.6 install)?
>
> Also, I saw somewhere something mentioned on some thread about an
> object called lrow that converts 8 binary values to a 0-255 bitmask
> value like what you send to an LED grid driver… I can’t find
> anything about this either. Maybe I made it up.
> –
> “Music is the cup that holds the wine of silence.” – Robert Fripp
>

Dec 6, 2007 at 6:46pm

somebody has a monome :)

check the object bitlist. it is in the jasch object package. If you send it a list of binary numbers it will output an int, give it an int and it will output a list of binary numbers.

Dec 6, 2007 at 8:15pm

>> check out bitlist

Awesome! Exactly what I’m looking for. Thanks, will check it out.

And good guess, I do have a monome. :)

There is some code that does the bitshift thing in the monome examples, but I thought I saw an object for it.

But this is actually for my monome-inspired controller project:

http://www.soundwidgets.com/stribe/

Dec 6, 2007 at 8:42pm

At 11:46 AM -0700 12/6/07, Nick Inhofe wrote:
>somebody has a monome :)
>
>check the object bitlist. it is in the jasch object package. If you
>send it a list of binary numbers it will output an int, give it an
>int and it will output a list of binary numbers.

You should also check the bit and byte externals, part of Peter
Elsea’s Lobjects collection…

Dan

Dan Nigrin
Defective Records
202 Hack / PC-1600 User / VSTi Host / OMS Convert / Jack OS X / Major
Malfunction
http://www.defectiverecords.com

http://www.jackosx.com

Dec 6, 2007 at 10:15pm

If you need to shift the bits in the list check out the zl object. It has many different modes,one of which is rotate (rot) which will move the elements in a list either to the right or left depending on what is in the right inlet/argument.

Dec 7, 2007 at 5:43pm

BTW I have had multiple crashes with zl rot on XP / 4.6.2, it seems to happen when you change the “amount to rotate” before there’s a list in the left inlet. Not totally sure if it’s reproducible each time but I do remember it happening *often*. Also not sure if it’s been fixed or if it’s a problem on Mac. As long as you send the left inlet something (even a single-element list) first, things have been fine. It’s too bad because it’s a great feature! Just a precaution, wondering if this has been seen elsewhere. I was working a lot with manipulating multisliders and had the zl rot, which was great when it worked, but I remember literally being scared to click on it for fear of suddenly seeing my desktop and Max totally quit…

Not sure if this should be in its own thread, I imagine it may be fixed in 5, or maybe it’s just my machine.

–CJ

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.