Which Version of openGL am I using?

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:41pm

Which Version of openGL am I using?

Hi,
I really want to explore the use of openGL particularly as it relates to making custom UI objects with JSUI. I am trying to learn as much about openGL as I can, but it seems like the standard has gone through several (big) changes. If I want to learn openGL best, to work with it in Max, should I learn 2.1, 3.3, 3.4 or 4?

Or does it even make a difference? i am just starting out and I do not know if I should be using tutorials relating to the newest openGL or not? Thanks.

Jan 13, 2014 at 4:35pm

I learned a lot from the tutorials at http://www.lighthouse3d.com/.

FYI, Jitter within Max 6 uses/exposes GLSL 1.2. On Windows, you can do some tricks to get newer versions of GLSL to run. On Mac you have additional limitations due to Osx itself and can not get higher than GLSL 1.5. Both of them you can enable many extensions to get some of the more advanced shader features.

LUA is supported in Max Jitter and has its own APIs which are very similar to OpenGL.

Jan 13, 2014 at 5:02pm

Thank you very much. Here you talk about GLSL my (basic) understanding is that GLSL is just a part aspect of openGL. While I am interested about the great things you can do with openGL and GLSL in Jitter, I am really interested in using the JSUI object for user interfaces. Do you know which version of openGL that uses? The wikipedia link for openGL makes it sound like there are big differences between version 2.x and 3.x and I know 4 just came out. I’d like to know which to study to make the best JSUI objects.

Thanks a ton for your help.

Jan 15, 2014 at 5:37pm

I would start with the documentation and tutorials referenced in the jsui object help patcher. Right at the top it lists the docs.
Get to them by choosing help menu, max help, and then read the docs and tutorials on Javascript in Max. Thera are a lot:
- do and learn from all the Max JS Tutorials, I think there are 4
- the whole major section tited “Javascript in Max” which has many subsections and includes MGraphics, Sketch, and OpenGL

With all the other higher-level APIs available in javascript like MGraphics, I suspect you won’t need OpenGL. If you were, there you should look at the OpenGL-ish API in the “Javascript in Max” that is exposed. Its not exact and not complete. Is similar to OpenGL 2.0/2.1.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.