Why can't I change an object name anymore?

Apr 27, 2007 at 12:35am

Why can't I change an object name anymore?

Just moved to a MacBook Pro. Most of my compatibility / migration issues are being solved gradually, but one has me stymied, stumped, floored, leaving me to make “bwerbbrbwebewbbbrbrw” sounds with my finger on my lower lip. (Or alternately, I find myself imitating the “Sunset Boulevard” sound drops in Stephanie Miller’s radio program, hollering “Max! MAA-AAX!!”) I hope someone can answer…

Why can’t I change the name of an object the way I always could before, and get Max to recognize it? Long ago in 1993, I grew sick to death of having to type the name “Uzi” so often. I don’t want to get into a political fight here, let me just say I thought “gun” was a much better name since it’s generic and not burdened with so much unnecessary political baggage. Please don’t get mad at me. This is too hot-button an issue. I’ll retract that. Let’s just say that I wanted to change the name of “random” to “rnd.”

So I tried duplicating the “random” object in the externals folder and changing its name to “rnd.” Voila — it worked. Years later I learned a bit more about MAX in OS X, that you could add to the max-objectmappings text file. Typing in “max objectfile rnd random;” did the trick much more neatly.

Since moving to this new machine with System 10.48 and Max 4.62, though, neither method works. Whatever I do, all my files produce the error message “gun:No such object.” What am I doing wrong?

Thanks fer yer time.

Apr 27, 2007 at 7:56am

Are you sure you’re updating the right mappings file? One thing that has changed is that the Cycling ’74 folder resides now inside the max folder. Gun works fine with me, although I’m not on Mintel

_
johan

Apr 27, 2007 at 11:35am

Apr 27, 2007 at 4:40pm

Quote: jvkr wrote on Fri, 27 April 2007 02:56
—————————————————-
> the Cycling ’74 folder resides now inside the max folder.

Aha! That cinched it, all right. It’s been a while sinced I’ve customized my setup, and I forgot the requisite folder is NOT in the root Library. Thanks! Glad it was so simple a problem.

Apr 27, 2007 at 6:12pm

Hi list,
is it possible to specify a shortcut in ‘menubar’ including a modifier
(i.e: cmd-shift-S).
Thanks a lot.

Eric L.

Apr 27, 2007 at 6:14pm

Hi list,
is it possible to specify a shortcut in ‘menubar’ including a modifier
(i.e: cmd-shift-S).
Thanks a lot.

Eric L.

Apr 28, 2007 at 5:35am

jvkr schrieb:
> Are you sure you’re updating the right mappings file? One thing that
> has changed is that the Cycling ’74 folder resides now inside the max
> folder. Gun works fine with me, although I’m not on Mintel

If you look at these init files, they all just contain messages to Max.
You can mix them, create your own files, you can’t put it into the wrong
file. (But the file could be in the wrong place…)

if the following patch creates a valid machinegun, you placed the
command in the wrong place… (A gun would fire only once wouldn’t it?)

#P window setfont “Sans Serif” 9.;
#P window linecount 1;
#N thispatcher;
#Q end;
#P newobj 196 177 62 196617 thispatcher;
#P button 196 57 15 0;
#P window linecount 2;
#P message 196 143 168 196617 script new uzi newex 66 140 60 196617
machinegun;
#P message 370 142 153 196617 ; max objectfile machinegun uzi;
#P connect 2 0 1 0;
#P connect 2 0 0 0;
#P connect 1 0 3 0;
#P window clipboard copycount 4;

Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

Apr 30, 2007 at 1:49am

Quote: Stefan Tiedje wrote on Sat, 28 April 2007 00:35
—————————————————-
> … (A gun would fire only once wouldn’t it?)

Picky, picky, Stefan! :) “Uzi” has three letters. No way am I replacing it with a (here I do a quick count with my fingers)… TEN-letter word!

OK, I kin see howz mebbee ‘GAT’ woulda been a more autentik-like toim fo’ youze mooks. Fugheddaboudit.

(My apologies to you non-native English speakers, if you’re struggling to make sense of that absurdly stereotyped movie-Mafia language.)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.