Forums > MaxMSP

why do some patches crash max?

October 8, 2007 | 5:19 pm

Hello,

I am curious what kind of elements within a patch can make it unopenable after saving it, causing the patch to crash MAX every time it is loaded thereafter (therefore losing all of the work done in that patch).

I realize now that one precaution might be to save a patch under a new name after making major changes, but I had no idea this would happen with the patch in question, as I was just laying out a variety of database objects and they were mostly disconnected from each other.

If there are known elements that can cause a patch to become unloadable, I would be very happy to know what they might be.

Thanks,

kcoul

PKM
October 8, 2007 | 6:06 pm

This kind of reminds me of: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halting_problem

Maybe you can post the patch?

Kieran Coulter wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am curious what kind of elements within a patch can make it unopenable after saving it, causing the patch to crash MAX every time it is loaded thereafter (therefore losing all of the work done in that patch).
>
> I realize now that one precaution might be to save a patch under a new name after making major changes, but I had no idea this would happen with the patch in question, as I was just laying out a variety of database objects and they were mostly disconnected from each other.
>
> If there are known elements that can cause a patch to become unloadable, I would be very happy to know what they might be.
>
> Thanks,
>
> kcoul
>
>

October 8, 2007 | 7:00 pm

>
> If there are known elements that can cause a patch to become unloadable, I would be very happy to know what they might be.
>

A major culprit is loadbang. Load you patch while holding shift+cmd/ctl. Maybe it opens then?

mz

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)