Forums > MaxMSP

Why is [borax] delaying the next midi note?

October 22, 2011 | 8:25 am

I made a patch that takes PC keystroke values (mapped 1-17, with two separate inlets for KEYUP and KEYDOWN events), and converts them to raw midi data for use with [midiout]. When you send a keydown, the note sounds until a keyup event occurs. HOWEVER, for some strange reason, if you change the note, it takes TWO keypresses before it "switches" to that note!?

Just wondering what I’m doing wrong here…

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

October 22, 2011 | 9:48 am

After deleting the [borax] object and rewiring straight to the end, I found out it has to do with the [expr] object (which came BEFORE [borax]). For some reason, it’s delaying the next result… ???

I’ve tried replacing it with [+ 35] but the same thing occurs.
Everything before the [expr] works perfectly. I press a key, and get a value from 1 to 17 going into inlet #1. I release that key, I get the same value coming from inlet #2. So is this some sort of bug? Is it working for anyone else?

grg
October 22, 2011 | 9:59 am

Hi,
its more convenient to post patches that work by themselves – there’s some patching required to actually test the patch you posted. But from looking at it the trigger order of pack is wrong – velocity triggers the pack & pitch comes "one late". Use t b i & prepend set to fix it or just use noteout instead of midiout.
One other thing to consider is that PC keyboards have a obscure hardware limit on how many keys can be presssed at one that can be annoying in this context.

October 24, 2011 | 10:54 am

Thanks, fixed it. As for the hardware limit, I just used the [keydown] and [keyup] objects to determine when to start/end notes. So at the bare minimum, in conjuction with [poly~], people should be able to play a chord or a triad.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)